1460 TUESDAYS' RHUBARB AND CUSTARD 1:29 REVIEW


"Another repost of an old perfume?" you wonder. 
No, it's just that I finally got my full sized version of Rhubarb and Custard and have decided to share some lovely pictures with you and the shipping experience I had - or had to go through more specifically. This is a picture heavy post, and well deserved for the beautiful packaging and bottle!
If you haven't read my previous review, check it out here

The bottom of the box it came in! 

I ordered this off of the official 1460 Tuesdays' website, which they offer a range of scents from sample sizes, 30mL, 50mL and 100mL. 
As I've mentioned before, I struggle to buy larger sized perfumes as I rarely get to use these too much, but I actually love smelling this scent so much I'm not sure if it'll even last me the year. 

I ordered this and had it shipped to my friend's place in the UK, and conveniently had someone carry it back for me who had just been visiting. Luckily for me, first class post by Royal Mail only costs 3.5 GBP and arrives within one or two days of being shipped! 
They do ship to Australia, but not to Hong Kong, so this was the best and easiest method for me to access what they have on offer without resorting to IndieScents. 

Contents of the package, top is a post card, left is a refill voucher, bottom is a pamphlet and right is the bottle inside the box. 

Unfortunately, their other offers such as 10% off a subsequent order, and 25% off refills of original bottles probably won't apply to me as the shipping fees back to the company I imagine, are much pricier than the discount I'll be getting in the case that I order again. 

The package came with a handwritten note, a little postcard as well, a voucher for the refills, and a pamphlet with the different scents and a box stuffed with tissue paper to house the perfume bottle itself. 

Inside the box! 
 Inside the box, I also recieved a sample of their scents. This was completely random, and I happened to get Mrs Gloss's Lemon Sherbert which I actually already own. 
Ideally, I would have loved to try Over the Chocolate Shop, but unfortunately I had no idea that I could pick, so I ended up with a repeat scent. While I don't dislike Lemon Sherbert, I'd like to try something else as well! 

The little sample rolled up in the paper tissue with the name and label on it! How quaint!
The sample bottle is 2.25mL and is impressively sturdy and incredibly hefty for a sample bottle. It has a little slanted cap, and the glass feels sturdy as well (compared to IndieScent's specifically). 

The bottle propped up on all the tissue paper that swaddled it to me! 
And can we talk about how beautiful this bottle is? 
The glass is lovely and hefty though I've seen that some people have broken it pretty easily so I've been wary and will keep it in the original box. The cap is nice as well, just your standard metal cap. 



To note though, the 30mL bottle is actually pretty small. I thought my Shirokuma was tiny, but it looks huge compared to this bottle! By my estimation, this is roughly around 10-11cm tall. 
My mom kindly (with more snark than anything) reminded me when I commented on how unexpectedly little there was, that 30mL is only three spoonfuls of cough medicine. 
Fair call mom, you win this round. 

For perspective. 

The label is printed and stuck to the side of the bottle rather than the bottom. 

For the scent: here's the original description. 

Rhubarb and Custard 1:29 described as : 

Perfume dialect: gourmand, but not as we know it
Top notes: rhubarb, grapefruit, lemon
Heart notes: bergamot, biscuits
Base notes: vanilla, hay, tobacco
The Rhubarb & Custard fragrance we all dreamed of. It's named 1:29, not after a train timetable, but because it's 1 part Rhubarb & Citrus Cologne to 29 parts Vanilla Custard; this turned out to be the ideal combination of the two separate fragrances which we tested at the special 4160Tuesdays/Mrs Gloss & The Goss afternoon workshop. The ideal blend of tart with sweet, smooth with sharp, bright with soothing, as chosen by eight discerning Glossers as the perfect balance between the two contrasting themes. A pudding in a perfume.
As always, I love this scent. 
With the little dashes of citrus mixed with the creamy background, there is nothing I don't love about this scent. 
Opening with a sharp baked rhubarb pie, with a little bit of honey and oatmeal, it fades out to this lovely creamy brown sugar and custard baked rhubarb dessert. It reminds me of both heavy, creamy oatmeal, bread and butter pudding, but it also reminds me exactly of a raspberry pannacotta with the sweetness of the milk pudding and the tartness of the berries. 
One thing to note is that these scents are usually blended by hand, and so these will vary slightly from bottle to bottle. I've found that this bottle smells slightly more alcoholic/boozy than my small sample bottle, and also has a much sharper and tart opening than the sample bottle, which smells a lot more heavily of Creamy Vanilla Crumble than this one which has a heavier feeling of Rhubarb and Citrus.
I'm also not sure if the stronger alcohol scent is due to the lack of decanting re: the sample bottles, but after letting it dry out a little, it smells pretty much exactly the same (just a smidge sharper). 

I do find that while this scent doesn't wear as well in my hair, and I find it just vanishes within 2-3 hours. However, in comparison to a lot of other perfumes, this actually stays on my skin so well and performs the best on my skin in comparison to on my clothes and in my hair.  
If you'd like to wear this, spraying it on your wrists is the best way to wear this scent in my opinion! 

Either way, it's the one I love out of the 1460 Tuesdays catalogue that I have tried, and I'm so glad to have gotten this in a beautiful packaging, bottle that matches the lovely scent inside. 

And a big thank you Sarah for making such a wonderful scent! 


Comments

Popular Posts