Discussion: Makeup done "the right way"

Recently I was asked a question on my IG:  "I often worry that my own makeup is too heavy - but yours always looks great!"

Firstly, thank you for the question and for the kind words! 

I've interpreted the questions in a few different ways : and as always, this answer probably isn't going to be the feel good answer that I feel like mainstream beauty influences, or maybe a community r/makeupaddiction is going to give you. For me, I think I'm not really good with complimenting or saying nice things just because I should, and I think anyone who knows me personally can attest to that. 

I've noticed that there's a lot of general feel good advice is just "wear whatever you like!", "you're rocking you and being confident!" and I think that's a great approach. It is important to note, there is always room for improvement regarding actual practices, such as blending, or getting it to work just right on camera, but I think the average makeup enthusiast is just fine wearing something that works for them. 
However, what I can't stand is the occasional text post which goes "how should I do my makeup?" and there'll be a very standard prescriptivist approach to how certain things should 'work' in terms of makeup. 

Let's address the core of the problem: that certain rules that people apply to following how makeup should be done. 

For me personally, having gone through phase after phase of makeup, it is true that there is not going to be one correct way of doing it. There are so many ways to compliment skin tone, facial features, pull out certain aspects or even to mask your own features and transform yourself into someone else entirely. 

Having gone through my rainbow colors only QueenofBlending bright white highlight, to my toned down lolita, to heavy but subtle cute freckled looks, to just aggressive red with patterns and lines all over my face, there is still a whole wealth of makeup styles I haven't even touched on. Honestly - there is no 'right' way to do the perfect brow, there is no 'correct' way to do eyeliner or even incorrect ways to use products (until it's risky to your own health at least - like, don't put non eye safe products in your eye.) 

However, there are better ways to apply makeup. 
Things like, cakey or patchy foundation, you can fix that by better application or better products. 
Eyeliner that skips and smears without giving you a flattering line? Fix it with a q tip, or find a sharper brush to amend that. 
Eyebrows that, aren't really filled in to the shape you probably wanted them? You can always go in with a lighter hand, get them waxed or plucked to the right shape, tinted darker or even tattooed on. 
Addressing the root of the problem is the right way to go - but you should at least know what you prefer. 

After many years of doing makeup, I find that I don't like Korean styles of makeup, I personally prefer matte finishes on my foundation, with a color that blends into my skin tone instead of being 3-4 shades lighter. I don't personally prefer wearing a lot of lip products generally, so I tend to stay away from lip products daily, and I don't feel like that affects how 'finished' my makeup looks. I like eyeliner formulas that don't last all day, because I'm lazy with my own makeup removal. I rarely ever use brushes with foundation, because I find that it wastes a lot more product that I can justify. I used to never fill in my eyebrows, but after a while I feel like adding a bit more of dimension and harshness to frame my face a bit more recently. 
There are so many days that I don't think my makeup looks good, or that it's just a bad day for me creatively, but sometimes it's just practicing over and over until you find the look that suits you the most for the you in this moment. 

For that reason, I can't stand giving advice on 'how to improve your makeup' regarding stylistic choices. 
By extension, I don't even think I can recommend certain products to people, just because there's such a huge variation with products and how they react to other people. A foundation that works wonderfully for one person, may look awful on someone else's complexion. An eyeliner that has a lot of hype (looking at you UD 24/7) that worked for everyone, never worked for me. 
A brand that gets shilled by people who are getting paid, try it out for yourself before you commit to the buy. 
I don't mind suggesting products that work for me, but I absolutely know that Your Milage May Vary. But if you asked me for help in 'fixing' a look you've already done, or asking what would suit your face most, that's up to you to decide. 

 "Do you think this lipstick works for me?" 
You'll never know until you actually try it for yourself. 

Comments

Popular Posts