Sugar and Spite: Sister Witch, Lebkuchen, Belsnickel Biscuits Review


Welcome to another episode of pedestrian perfume reviews, where I take you through really basic description of what perfumes smell like!
As people have mentioned before, it's really hard to trust whether or not scents will work for you for a variety of reasons, so I try to apply perfumes on scent neutral bases (tissues or paper) to get the most 'objective' scent I can get, and then describe them in the most generic way I can to give you an accurate picture of what you might get (unlike the sexy scent stories you get from our Friendly Co Blogger).

Information about the brand:
Sugar and Spite is a small brand run by Lysa Ann, and the description for the brand is :

Sugar and Spite Bathery and Nonsense Emporium -- Stitchery, witchery, bath/body smell-goods, and extreme shenanigans - Salem, Oregon

One of the many American indie brands, I was most excited about the brand's aesthetic and website, and decided to put in a small order. They offer a lot of different products, with seasonal releases of scents, so there's a huge array of products you can choose from.
They offer perfumed sprays, which are linen friendly types of body sprays, body sprays, eau de parfum, body wash, soaps, sugar scrubs and even cream deodorant!
There's basically something for everyone and it isn't perfume specific, so if you're interested in the variety of bath and body products, this may be the brand for you!

Regarding customer service, I didn't get a lot of information at first from the site so I had to email and had to do a lot of research myself instead regarding shipping rates. After that, I had a slight mishap with the tracking numbers for my orders, but I was able to contact Lysa Ann directly and she emailed me very quickly back with all the information. I believe she is quick to respond to most questions and requests, but you can also join the Sugar and Spite facebook group if you're interested in anything else.

Additionally, there is a controversy surrounding the brand, so if you're interested please read down below.

Shipping information:

There is not a lot of shipping information on the F.A.Q site at all, but most of it can be done through the shipping calculator when you register all your information into the order. Most of the orders are priced through weight base, so there is no flat rate shipping for this site.
If you are international, the best way is just to cross your fingers and hope the shipping estimate on the site calculator is accurate.

My order was only two bottles of perfumed spray, and a dram so I only paid $10USD for shipping. In this case, the less you order will be a better bargain.
In regards to TAT, I placed my order on the 7th of December and it was shipped on the 15th of December - only around a week and a bit for the order. Luckily I made my order before the big Christmas rush.
Unfortunately, my order was shipped around the 15th of December and arrived on the 6th of January. This would be much longer than usual shipping but I was told that this was mostly to do with USPS (as the Christmas rush left everyone's orders a little bit muddled).

My Order:

I absolutely love the Sugar and Spite's packaging. I got a little Christmas themed sticker on the front of my bag with my name! While It's not Christmas anymore but I did order this around Mid December so it makes sense that she packed it this way.

The back of the bag! Note the candy cane themed string and a little bell came with it! 


Came with some extra goodies as well! The dram was wrapped in a little Santa paper packaging .
I did not expect any samples or the Christmas packaging at all - mostly because I usually never get special touches being a once in a blue moon consumer (trying to stay on that minimalist/environmentalist life but it's hard). Personally, I really loved the little bell and the candy cane striped decoration on the little bag, and I also love that she included a candy cane! It feels so festive and really feels lovely and personal that indie companies go the extra mile to cater for each customer that orders from them.

In regards to my order, I bought Sister Witch: a steamy cup of earl grey tea, wee lavender buds, and sweet milk 

A picture of the dram.

The label! It's not very big but a lot bigger than I expected. 

This retails for $5.50 USD for 3.7 mL. (Edit: Unfortunately as an uninitiated member of alternate measurements, I had no idea a dram was a unit of measurement that meant approximately 3.7mL rather than 1mL. So it was bigger than I expected, as it was almost triple the amount I thought I ordered.)

If you see the price breakdown in comparison to other brands, Sugar and Spite offers two sizes of their perfume oils. In regards to the price breakdown per mL, 1.5USD is not a bad price, although if you live internationally you should factor in the shipping prices.

Size / Price / Price per mL

Dram/3.7mL - $5.50 -->    $1.5 USD
10mL -        $12 -->            $1.2USD

It's well known in the indie perfume world that oils should be rested for a few days-weeks depending on the brand to let scents develop. However, despite the amount of time I've rested it for, there's not a huge difference in the scent performance at all for me. 

It's a really interesting blend because I get a very different scent depending on how much I apply.
With a little dab, I get a really strong pull of just essential lavender oil, and then it dries down to a faint sweet milky scent.
Initially it comes off as a lavender essential oil/lavender tea with a touch of milk, rather than an earl grey with some lavender syrup in it.
The more I apply (no rubbing, just dabbing!) the more it smells like a sweet milky Lavender tea, with just a smidge of bitterness from the tea and a whisper of the bergamot. It smells slightly different every time I smell it, and I'd like to see this in an EDP just to compare.

I applied a lot more on my wrists the other day and while the initial dry down is not too far off from the notes mentioned, around 3-4 hours in, it basically fades into this vague sugary scent with a strange vintage funk. I think I'll be applying in small dabs and let it disappear rather than smell the nondescript sweet but slightly funky scent. I don't think that milk turns sour on me at all, and I actually have grown to like this. This is a more milk and lavender heavy version of the notes, but if you're interested in something more 'herbal', try Twice to Tea from Poesie. That has a sharper, green kick and almost no milk and only a dab of lavender, it's a bit more soft and nuanced but is almost twice the price. 

This lasts about 6-8 hours on me and I get a light waft of it if applied on my wrists, so this is a pretty moderate silage and wear time.

Mostly though, I love the little dram bottle, I absolutely adore the packaging. 



Both are labelled, and are 2 ounces or roughly 60 mL. 
I got two perfumed sprays. These retail for $9 USD for 2 Ounces, but are significantly less concentrated than EDPs and the oils. It's a lovely easy to apply body spray that moisturizes and gives you a light scent, and it's surprisingly scent heavy as well.

Lebkuchen: Warm gingerbread porridge, drizzled with caramel and sticky honey 

The biggest compliment I can give this scent is that this is the most accurate and strongest scent out of all of my orders. It is exactly like gingerbread with strong base of rice porridge/brown sugar oatmeal, a really strong kick of caramel and this lovely sweet honey. It smells so accurate and so delicious.

It opens up with gingerbread, and then dries down with a little more of the porridge coming through with some of that sort of mild oatmeal flavor to balance it out. It still is overwhelmingly sweet and heavy on the gingerbread though.
If you love gingerbread/porridge/brown sugar notes, I promise you'll love this because it smells so amazing.

For me:
A long time ago, I ordered three indie perfumes that I didn't really like very much, and one of them was Arcana's Leaves Falling Like Rain. The notes were "comforting base of brown sugar, caramel, gingersnaps and cappuccino is sparked off with hints of vintage patchouli, hyssop, mullein and white pepper."

Basically, if you love this perfume (or own it) it basically smells exactly like a more foodie version of Leaves, and much less musk.
They're both very sharp and the top notes of caramel and gingerbread/gingersnaps with a hefty sugary honey base, so if you're looking for a non limited edition version of Leaves, maybe this will be a less nuanced version you're looking for!

Personally, I just can't enjoy this scent. I was never a huge fan of Leaves and barely ever wore it, and I feel the same with Leckuchen. It is a lovely scent, just not really for me. 

Belsnickel Biscuits: Sugar cookies blended with vanilla, sugar cane and white musk
I pretty much bought this entire order because of this scent, and it's because I found this really amazing scent from Kiko cosmetics' hand cream set which was called Sparkling Holiday.
The one I really wanted was Winter Cookies, and it smelt amazingly like an actual real buttery and Christmas spiced cookie. Only downside, the scent faded in about a few minutes and the actual hand cream was dismal and you needed to get the whole set, and the others weren't really my type of scent.
I went on the hunt for a few christmas cookie scents and this is what lead me to Sugar and Spite's Yule Collection. 

I didn't like this scent at first, but I have to admit that it's really grown on me a lot. I think the EDP/Eau de Parfum version may be stronger and I actually mistakenly bought these sprays instead of EDPs, so I'm not sure if the scents have been affected in any way by the body spray formula.

To my nose, this opens up very strongly as a sort of gourmand vanilla which is very heavy on the sugary musk scent. It dries down relatively quickly to a more richer, sugary vanilla sugar musk, it smells very well blended and it just has this sort of trademark Sugar and Spite vanilla musk to the scent.
I would say this is really just a very musky sugary vanilla, or if you've smelt the Kiko handcremes, a toned down and butter less version of the scent. I wish there was more of a butter/popcorn note to this scent just to give it more richness, but I like that this is a thin vanilla musk as well. While I'm not a huge fan of musk, this is sweet enough, like a little bit of fog and skin musk on a cold winter's day.

The projection for this scent is very minimal, there is little to no sillage - but you can definitely smell it. I let my friends smell my arm after 5-6 hours and it was still going strong -  the wear time for this is 10-12 hours depending on how much you put on. I usually give my legs about 3-4 sprays and that lasts me half a day, and I don't have to even apply body cream - so this is perfect for lazy people.

While my first impressions had a sort of 'spiced' sweetness to the spray, I don't really get that anymore, so I assume that's to do with resting.


Conclusion:
I find that as an international buyer, it's very important to me that there is a consistent shipping rate I can buy from because shipping actually takes up a good chunk of the money I give to indie brands (or more unfortunately, not directly to them.)

I like Sugar and Spite but unfortunately there's not a huge warmth or devotion I have towards the brand. I didn't get a lot of interaction regarding customer service, but the people on the Facebook group were lovely!
In terms of scents, because I only ordered a small fraction of the brand's offerings, I almost wish I could try a few more before giving a more conclusive judgement. On the r/IMAM subreddit, there's very little attention given to the group either, so I'm not sure why that is. I just think I feel a bit lukewarm towards the brand because there's not a huge social media presence - but this shouldn't be taken in a negative way at all.

Despite not blowing me away with realism in regards to the scents - I do find myself reaching for Belsnickel over and over again and warming to Sister Witch as well. They're more wearable light scents, and I really love the formula of the moisturizing sprays and I think they're just the right concentration of scent to spray base, as I find Luvmilk far too concentrated and Poesie's only scent to be a bit of a let down, so if you were interested in the perfumed sprays, I definitely recommend you check out Sugar and Spite's range.


Controversy around the brand:

I've included a link to my source(and thank you to WorkingWithMonolids for collecting most of these sources!) as any good academic should too.

http://workingwithmonolids.blogspot.com/2014/09/review-sugar-and-spite-bathery-11-scents.html
The commenter on this blog post also commented on another blog
http://thecollectiondevelopment.blogspot.com/2015/01/sugar-and-spite-duo-of-reviews.html

For me personally, I agree with much of what's been said in the review of the brand.

It's likely that a lot of these problems and the whole controversy that happened was due to a range of reasons, and considering the review it has been almost three years without any bad or controversial incidents regarding the brand.

Lysa Ann, the owner, has been very active in her own Facebook group regarding the running of the business, and is very considerate of regular customers and their requests with scents or new products. It seems that her accountability regarding the brand has gone up and that she is financially now in a place to be more responsive towards customer demands as well.
I've seen her regularly replying to people regarding shipping, tracking numbers and restocks regularly, so it's convincing to me that there's some sort of amendment regarding the reputability of the brand.

Again, I had no issues with my order at all, and as far as I can tell there are no negative experiences regarding non refunds and such so far on Reddit or on blogs since 2014. 

Comments

Popular Posts