4160 TUESDAYS REVIEW: CREAMY VANILLA CRUMBLE AND RHUBARB AND CUSTARD 1:29

As recently, I am on the ultimate hunt for the best foodie scents I can find, I found the brand 4160 Tuesdays on the indiescents website. 

I ordered quite a few, but today I will be reviewing Rhubarb and Custard 1:29, and Creamy Vanilla Crumble, two of my favorites. They're very solidly gourmand scents, and honestly due to the lovely smell and all of the different sizes you can pick it up in, I would definitely check this brand, and these two out if you have the chance!

Now, onto the review: 
A picture of my 1.5ml sample bottles! 
The print also runs as the labels are printed and stuck on with tape. 
(I also have had a few problems with the spray bottles not working properly but luckily not for these scents! Minimal leaking is the worst I've had, thus the label print spreading.)


I ordered Creamy Vanilla Crumble, which is described as: 

A gold bottle of creamy custardness with notes of crumble and a tiny bit of fresh leaf tobacco. (This adds richness and depth like to a fragrance which might otherwise be a little bit too sweet and fluffy.) Our sophisticated Vanilla Custard fragrance is made to last, and stays close to the skin to invite closer inspection.  

I absolutely love this scent.  

Creamy Vanilla Crumble opens up with this incredible richness of brown sugar, cream and milk in oatmeal sweetness, you can almost smell an actual crumble and the baked butter crumbs on top. 

In a more pedestrian and less wanky way, it honestly just smells like a really sweet vanilla dessert, but with a sort of brown sugar, creamy scent that reminds me of my boarding house breakfasts with tacky oatmeal that I mixed with a bit of milk to thin it out and a ton of brown sugar for flavour. 

On fabric, the richness of the scent stays true a lot longer, and you can still catch bits of the tobacco leaf just rounding out the scent, and it stays very much unchanged. 
On my skin (I usually spray and dab my wrists together) it turns into a much simpler smell and basically loses most of the crumble and smells a little more like Vanilla absolute, just a straight and rather sharp scent without any of the baked goodness I get. 

For this scent, it does wear close to my skin and basically lasts about 4 hours on my skin. At about 4/5 hours, I'll get the faintest whiff of sweet and very subtle vanilla on my skin, on fabric it stays just a bit longer at 6 hours. It's still noticeable, but as described, it isn't one with a lot of silage. 

Here's a picture of my ring (from Noisette Jewels) for scale! The bottles are tiny, about 5cm.


Rhubarb and Custard 1:29 described as : 

Perfume dialect: gourmand, but not as we know it
Top notes: rhubarb, grapefruit, lemon
Heart notes: bergamot, biscuits
Base notes: vanilla, hay, tobacco
The Rhubarb & Custard fragrance we all dreamed of. It's named 1:29, not after a train timetable, but because it's 1 part Rhubarb & Citrus Cologne to 29 parts Vanilla Custard; this turned out to be the ideal combination of the two separate fragrances which we tested at the special 4160Tuesdays/Mrs Gloss & The Goss afternoon workshop. The ideal blend of tart with sweet, smooth with sharp, bright with soothing, as chosen by eight discerning Glossers as the perfect balance between the two contrasting themes. A pudding in a perfume.

Essentially, Rhubarb and Custard is basically just a Vanilla Crumble with a dash of citrus/rhubarb. 
With Rhubarb and Custard, upon opening notes, I can definitely smell a lot more of a really sharp baked rhubarb scent with a little bit of dessert in the background, more of a honey and oatmeal. 

After the dry down, the rhubarb dries down but the heavy creamy brown sugar and oatmeal bread and butter pudding starts to peak through a little more. Bergamot comes forward a little more like a touch of sweet Earl Grey tea and just rounds out that otherwise sharp sweetness of the Vanilla Absolute.

The other day, I had this amazing raspberry panacotta, and when I ate it there was this incredible familiarity about the taste, and that's when it hit me. The dessert basically tasted like Rhubarb and Custard 1:29 smelt.

Raspberry Pannacotta 
The sharpness of the raspberry reminds me of the tart rhubarb top notes, and the creamy vanilla beans and milk compliment this amazingly. I can't really recommend this enough!
This lasts slightly longer on my skin thanks to the sharper notes of Rhubarb's initial blend, and also has a little more throw because of the tartness in the scent. 

While both are super similar, I decided that the interesting blend of both Rhubarb and Vanilla made 1:29 more of an exciting and unique scent that I wanted to add to my collection. 
I think Creamy Vanilla Crumble is a 7.5/10 for me, only because of the sharpness that happens on my skin, but Rhubarb and Custard is a solid 8/10 due to that slight kick that keeps it interesting until it fades away. I like both of them though, and would probably wear them interchangablely as they register as quite similar if I'm not really paying attention. 


If you're interested, 4160 Tuesdays offers all their scents at 9ml, 30ml, 50ml and 100ml options! 

They ship to a range of places, and where they don't, IndieScents offers 1.5ml and 50ml options as well! The 1.5mL samples I bought were USD$6 whereas a 9mL from the official site is around USD$39 (GBP 30). 

That being said, Creamy Vanilla Crumble is slightly more expensive on their official site.

4160 Tuesday's official site and price listings for Creamy Vanilla Crumble.


I've done the math for you, 1.5x6=9 so if you order 6 samples, you'd get the same amount of USD$36. It's really pretty much the same depending on the conversion rate, so it just depends which one you'd like more. 

With Rhubarb and Custard, it is only USD$26 (GBP 20) for their 9mL bottles, 

 Vanilla Crumble retails at $65 GBP whereas Rhubarb and Custard retails for $50 GBP, and Vanilla Crumble is slightly more expensive than all the rest of their perfumes as they say the vanilla needed for the perfume has risen in price and is harder to get a hold of now. 

I've ordered myself a 30ml of Rhubarb and Custard 1:29 and shipping for the UK was 3.5GBP, and I can't wait to get it! 

I also like it enough to probably wear it on a weekly basis, so I thought I might as well go for a nice 30ml version. It's a nice middle ground between 10mL (not really enough for a year) but 50mL (way too much especially if it's a strong scent), and I'll definitely be uploading pictures when I get my bottle! 

In other news, happy holidays and Merry Christmas to everyone! I've spent mine writing this review and checking over all the notes and test wearing the scents, but I pretty much loved every second of smelling this perfume, so I can conclusively say, it's been pretty passable. 





Comments

Popular Posts