Pulp Fragrance : General Catalogue (Review)

As a relatively new brand on the scene, I was excited to finally get the chance to try Pulp Fragrance! They're a brand located in Ontario, Canada, and so far they only offer perfume oils with a small general catalogue and seasonal collections. 

As I received these in a swap (thank you to @swatch.me.now!), I can't personally give any details about international shipping or my personal experience with purchasing from the house, but from the website there are a lot of options for international shipping. 
According to the website - there are two untracked options for shipping starting at $10.40CAD. A general tracked package is $26.50CAD, and express tracked post is $75.20 CAD (although both are 5-28 business days for shipping). Additionally, the brand also retails through Ajevie, so you can add on any size of their scents if you're also purchasing decants from Ajevie. 

I personally am a really big fan of the brand's packaging so far - I love the vibrant sticker background, the font and the house name on the label. Additionally, most houses (including Ajevie's decants) have the same 1ml vials and usually opt for the larger paper tags which make storing them quite difficult (I have this issue with NCD as well as Ajevie). While Fantome used to have these 1ml vials as extra addons - their labels are notoriously not oil proof and are very slippy. Other houses like Poesie and Sixteen92 which use the wrap around method on their stickers are also not great, because they always end up unpeeling from themselves and from the bottle, making storage also extremely difficult with a label that refuses to stay on the vial. So, so far, the fact that these stickers are sticking really well to themselves and the bottle gets a huge thumbs up from me. Also there's this rubbery matte finish on the stickers which make them really lovely to the touch. 
Fun fact - I often take the time out to dab the oil directly onto the labels (often ruining a lot of my samples) just to test how they hold up against waters and oils. This label just soaked in the oil and it just faded away into nothing as if there had been no oil spill at all - which is genuinely impressive. Very sturdy - I like that a lot! 



And to All A Good Night (Premium) - Sugary and gently-spiced holiday cookies fresh from the oven and drizzled with caramel, creamy egg nog spiked with coffee liqueur and sprinkled with a dash of nutmeg and cardamom, & the smooth, pale, aged wood of a well-loved rolling pin

This is delicious! It has a thick creamy custard-y egg scent, with a light tapping of sugar and nutmeg. After dry down, more of the woody spices and the coffee notes peek through a little more. This scent reminds me a bit of Sigh Away Sundays (Poesie) which I wasn't a fan of, so I much prefer the richness of this one - the rich creaminess really works for me. 

Embrace - A kindly kitchen witch invites you in from the cold, feeds you pumpkin shortbread with butter, apricot preserves, and brown sugar & then sends you safely on your way.

Pumpkin, in autumn? Groundbreaking.  
This is pretty much what you'd expect out of most autumn foodie scents - a punch of pumpkin, spices, and brown sugar sprinkled with a little bit of fruit. It's just overall like, a nice solid scent - has that realistic foodie nuance, the sweetness of this blend is very pleasing. I like it. 

South Star - Sweet creamy peach, vanilla beans, liatrix, & a woody-ambrette accord, all topped off with a hint of cinnamon. 

The opening of this is everything - the peach note is so pretty, with the sweetness of the vanilla! As always, top notes are fleeting, and the liatrix and ambrette peek through a little more and give a little floral kick, with a touch of grassy-woodiness just to ground it a little. I think this is a nice balance of a fruity floral, leaning towards a gourmand - I really enjoy the sweetness in the scent, even if the notes aren't particularly foodie at all. 

Autumn Morning (Premium) - Warm mug of hot chocolate, bowl of slightly spiced oatmeal, bouquet of carnations, and a cozy blanket on your lap. 

Opening up with a dusty puff of cocoa powder, it feels like being whacked in the face with kitchen spices - ground up clove, green cardamom and cracked cinnamon sticks blended into a chai/hot chocolate blend. At ten minutes, it dries down pretty quickly from the sharp spices, and gently fades into a softer, sweeter nutty hot chocolate scent, while the spices sit closer to the skin. I get a touch of very faint floral sweetness, as well - but the cozy blanket isn't quite a strong fabric scent at all. The opening is very strong, but the dry down tempers the scent into more of a soft and demure profile. I like this scent - it definitely keeps that warm and comforting feeling, almost like a gourmand with an atmospheric edge because of the touch of floral and the edge of spice - and I am thrilled it's not my festive spice death note. 

Eagle Hill Cemetery - An ivy-covered mausoleum, old paving stones, cool damp soil, a creaky iron gate, faded bouquets, & the spark of a match freshly-lit to see your way.

Well it's definitely an atmospheric - it's intensely green, with the almost minty sharpness of the ivy, with the sharpness of soil and dirt, with the smell of musky dampness and a touch of smoke. After dry down, this scent warms up a little more, and then greener floral elements peek through a little more. The soil note (and the overall profile of the scent) reminds me a little bit of Entombed (Nui Cobalt Designs), but they're both definitely channeling similar vibes here. 


Women in Dresses Running From Houses - Gooey marshmallows over a roaring bonfire, heliotrope, aged patchouli, and a whisper of anise. 

This reminds me of mothballs and a stuffy apartment - there's really not much sweetness from the gooey marshmallows at all, and is more of a blend of smoke and patchouli, but with a good dose of mothballs for good measure. For me, this has a real nostalgic quality to it, so I enjoy the ride, but I can't really see myself wearing this. 

Haunted Hills - Juicy red apples, creamy caramel, wicked dark musk, black pepper, vetiver, and a sprinkle of baking spices. 

Opening with the lovely crisp red apple note, it dries down to a more - slightly savoury mixture of the black pepper and the dark musk. As I amp sweetness in blends, the dark musk and black pepper aren't quite as strong as I had been worried about since all musks are a death note on me - but after the red apples fade away it becomes more of a bitter, darker blend. The pepper isn't quite as spicy, but it's mainly all woody vetiver with a dense musk. Definitely feels a little more 'haunted', but it's not really my thing. 




Disclaimer: I was not sponsored for this review or affiliated with this brand, and all opinions are my own, and do not reflect the brand's opinions or interests.

Comments

Popular Posts