4160 TUESDAYS, LEMON SHERBERT AND GODDESS OF LOVE AND PERFUME REVIEW

I've raved about 4160 Tuesdays before, so if you want to hear more about their Creamy Vanilla Crumble, click here!

I bought these when I was first dabbling in Niche perfumes from IndieScents, and managed to get my hands on Mrs Gloss Lemon Sherbert, and Goddess of Love and Perfume. To preface, my one gripe with 4160 is that they experiment quite a bit with their scents, so sometimes certain blends will pull more towards certain notes than others. With my own experience with Rhubarb and Custard 1:29 I get a little bit nervous about buying samples vs full sizes because of the difference in composition, so keep that in mind if you do decide to ever purchase.



Mrs Gloss Lemon Sherbert
A bright light sparky citrus scent to drag us out of the grey days of winter into shiny spring! Bursts of citrus and lemon tartness, with a touch of mellow sweetness too it is the most sophisticated way we can think of to bring back memories of sweet shops and playtimes. The tanginess of citrus fruits, the softness of musk and vanilla.  

This scent is an odd one, where I imagine a strong lemonade to be sweetened, icy lemon, with maybe a hint of the sparkling adlehyde, this is very firmly a flat lemonade, making it an empty promise of a 'sparkly citrus scent'.
The opening is citrus and lemon, sour and very tart, with a bit of flatness to the scent that reminds me of home made lemonade, yet there's something very grey about this scent. The sweetness is sugar paired with musk, and the lemon is haunted by my worst enemy = musk. What is originally a slightly off kilter, grey skies lemonade in 'summery' London, it becomes, lemonade spilled on your neighbour's cat, wearing an itchy jumper sitting in the park with a small cup of lemonade in your hand.
While the lemonade stays a nice refreshing sourness alleviated by a touch of sugar, there's just a touch of woodiness, like cedarwood, but haunted by musk at every turn - Although this perfume takes very little turns.

Personally, this lemonade is one that feels more evocative and atmospheric than gourmand, and due to my own dislike of musks, it feels a little too simple for the price tag.

Perfect for: Anyone who likes their lemonade on a rainy London day.


Goddess of Love and Perfume 
The fragrance features plum, peach, wild strawberry, black currant, raspberry, grapefruit, yuzu, oakmoss, opoponax, bergamot, patchouli, rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, vanilla and musk. 

The Goddess of Love & Perfume is a fabulously fruity floral with an underlying touch of oakmoss. It's the way Sarah imagined that Aphrodite would smell if she descended from Mount Olympus to seduce shepherd boys (men, not actual boys because that would be wrong) on the slopes of Roseberry Topping, North Yorkshire. This is the ultimate floral, fruity chypre, with added musk. The Goddess first manifested herself as one of our Crimes of Passion, back in 2015, mildly inspired by two rich, fruity vintage fragrances which Sarah had sniffed in passing in the Osmotheque's collection: Shocking by Schiaparelli and Le Fruit Defendu by Les Parfums de Rosine (the original version owned by couturier) Paul Poiret.  

While I was originally ensnared by the fantasy of a mixed fruit drink except with a few dashes of floral to make it a little more wearable, what I ended up with was a relatively musk heavy and cloyingly sweet and juicy fruit basket. It was also at this point I found out, I am not a fan of chypres. The notes of oakmoss and musk are the same formidable opponoents in this blend as they are in Lemon Sherbert and Douceur Brulee (Kyse Perfumes), giving me the faint recollection of sitting on a ferry to Macau, it's just a little too much momentum.
The perfume opens with a blast of fruity, mostly strawberry and peach sweetness, yet there's something bitter and slightly boozy underneath, like the bruised flesh of the fruits, with a slight touch of white florals, and the ever so subtle touch of jammy rose within the indistinct fruit basket, bellied by the strong arms of the Musk master.
Where I dreamed of my simple fruit punch, I get mashed wild strawberries, stems and all, drowned by the bitter scent of evocative Deity only spirits, lying on a bed of lush florals covered in the heady animalic musk of sweaty shepherd boys (men) and their sheep.

However, as someone who has always found it hard to appreciate the vintage and mainstream blends (don't ask me about Orientals, Chypres, Indolic or Balsamic qualities because I just don't smell them enough to be confident in my responses), I often find myself out at sea with mainstream/niche compositions that prioritize classic compositions of perfumes, in comparison to the more contemporary gourmands. In this respect, I find my opinion on Goddess of Love and Perfume to be largely fruitless (get it).

Perfect for: Fruit lovers, or someone who wants a modern twist on the vintage chypres, and a fondness for musk will help.


Conclusion:

Both of these are sweet in their scent profiles, yet they feel more like artistic renditions of feelings, rather than the descriptions of the notes they intend to emulate. Despite this, with my general distrust of musk (when I had not yet realized) these will go into my swap pile for a more musk loving owner sometime in the future.
I'm eager to try more of 4160's Catalogue at some point, although I'll have to check carefully for any hidden death notes - but the shipping will probably be the first problem I face. 

Comments

Popular Posts