Kate: Designing EX-5 Eyebrow Review

One thing that I've really come to appreciate is Cosme's ranking of top items. Although I've never really been a fan of typically hyped up items, or popular items because of various issues with undisclosed sponsorships and my own picky requirements, I've found that I've been enjoying a lot of products that just so happen to have ended up in the Cosme top lists, and looking for those little cosme approved stickers, because I've really had great luck with those items. 

So today, I'll be review KATE Tokyo's Designing Eyebrow, which is a three toned rectangle of eyeshadow powder, in a small, flip top compact. 


When I initially bought this, I bought it as a special set - the price of one eyebrow compact with a free mini of their mascara, which was a great bargain. It wasn't popular at the time, and I had been trying to get into defining my eyebrows a little more due to the relative lack of care I used to give them. 

In the magazine, KATE's designing eyebrow compact comes in at number 10 on the popularity charts, and the Japanese description gives a few reasons as to the great features of this item. 
 Firstly, they recommend this product due to the various tones on the eyeshadow, meaning that you can personalize which shade you want. The variety in shade is actually quite good in terms of range, you could use this for gradient brows, using a harsh hand with lighter colors giving a flawless transition, or even laying down a lighter base and then going in with strokes of darker colors. The possibilities for this block are amazing, and especially with my appreciation for monochromatic themes, it works really well for me. 

The magazine also suggests using this compact as a contour palette, and from personal use I've found it useful for both lightly contouring the eye sockets, the jawline and also the nose. With the included brushes, the softer shading brush is made to be the perfect shape to run along the side of the nose and around the eye, and it also is made of softer bristles in comparison to the slanted end, which feels a lot more like your typical harsher eyebrow brushes. 
If you want sharper finishes, I would suggest also using another brush, as I typically use Zoeva's 317 Wing Liner brush to give myself those hair like strokes and a sharp tail. 

The formula of the eyebrow powder itself isn't perfect in comparison to Western products, the payoff is slightly richer than typical eyebrow powders because it has a little more kick up and a little more give, sort of mid way between the stiff eyebrow powder. If I could liken it towards any eyeshadow formula, I'd say it's very close to MAC's Carbon eyeshadow, which is incredibly stiff which a meagre payoff, but it works in the case of eyebrow powders because you don't want/need that much pigmentation it the product. In terms of how it wears, and how long it wears, usually a little fixative, like fix + or a setting spray will help with the wear of this product - as powders don't typically last as long as pencils/gels/brow mascaras or other stronger products like eyebrow tints. 
I personally really love the lack of wear life on this though, I like that it's easy to just wipe them off and start over, it's super convenient and beginner friendly, and will last for ages at the extremely affordable price tag. 

In terms of the colors itself, my color was EX-5 brow, the color range is primarily 'light to dark brown'. As this product, and magazine, is primarily catering towards Japanese consumers, or more broadly, East Asian skin tones and hair colors, so I would suggest this for people with darker hair/eyebrows.
One thing that people have mentioned before with bronzers or foundations, especially complexion palettes that offer a variety of shades, is that if it works for a variety of skin tones, you probably don't need it - simply because despite subtle changes between summer and winter, your undertones don't typically change, and your skin tone can only vary so much. The great thing with this is, if you are intending to use this as a contour, this is probably quite an adaptable one, as you can mix and match the color suitable for your skin tone - and the darkest color on mine is a bit darker than most of the darkest shades in foundation ranges. 

On my compact, the reason why I've hit pan first on the lighter colors is firstly, my fear of overdefining my eyebrows, but secondly, the fact that I had light hair for quite a while when I first owned this compact, and I preferred a lighter finish on my eyebrows, and now I try to use as much of the darker colors I can so I can evenly pan this eyebrow compact. Depending on personal preferences, please check the colors and buy this product accordingly. 

Overall, I really like this product and I have had friends tell me how much they've liked this too! With how easy it is to carry this around, its range in shades, a convenient brush, mirror and just the overall ease of application with this product, I highly recommend this! 

Where to buy this? 

You can buy this online from yesstyle, or even go to any makeup store that sells Japanese makeup, specifically the brand KATE. Most Japanese drugstores will also sell this product! 


Comments

Popular Posts