Poesie: Madar and Sucre Vanille Review



Another Poesie review! For some reason, Poesie has a special place in my heart, being one of my first indie buys and I always find myself back at their catalogues - and the frequent changing of seasonal releases always keeps me interested. 

During their reissue event, Joelle was kind enough to throw in a sample vial of Sucre Vanille, a scent which I missed last time in favor of Blanket, and Jasmine's upgraded vial of Madar meant that I managed to get my hands on it too! 



 Madar: creamy Basmati rice pudding flavored with orange flower water, saffron, cinnamon, cardamom, dried rose petals, sugared pistachios

Isn't skin chemistry a wonderful thing? Jasmine has previously raved about this scent, and she describes this as a orange flower, cardamom and rice scent - it wears much more like a lightly floral and spiced rice note on her, and I was excited to try the elusive 'rice' scent that caught her fancy. As this is technically labelled as a 'gourmand' scent, I decided I'd give it a try - and I absolutely love it. 

Wet: A distinct note of creamy basmati rice pudding, it's exactly as you imagine rice, a fragrant sweetness that reminds me a lot of freshly washed rice in the bowl. There's equal parts of orange flower water, a touch of florals (only the vaguest whisper of sweet rose), a bit of saffron in its brightness, a sweetened touch of cardamom and the mildest sprinkle of pistachios. 

Dried down: Instead of the cardamom-floral heavy scent profile, this turns incredibly sweet on me (as I recently have figured out that I amp the sweetness in perfumes, which incidentally is perfect for my gourmand loving heart). To me, whenever it was dinner time, often the scent of cooked rice steaming away in the rice cooker would fill the kitchen and the dining room, and it's like someone captured that essence, but paired it with a dessert. 
It's a beautiful sugary and rice-milk heavy delight, which is very warm and nutty on me. It's a mixture of freshly washed rice, creamy milk pudding and powdered sugar, with the fragrant aroma of cooked rice hanging like a soft veil around me. 

Perfect for: anyone looking for a rice scent. If you like a softer take on spices, and a gourmand that veers away from the typical vanilla ice cream, syrup and pancakes, this is a perfect detour that is elegant and light. 
I definitely did not expect to love this as much as I do, and I whole heartedly recommend anyone looking into Poesie to give this a try. 



Sucre Vanille: sparkling white sugar laced with vanilla

Wet: A blast of vanilla bean, sweetness, and sugar, the way it smells when you just dump it into a cotton candy machine and it hasn't quite spun out but it's warmed and starts to smell exceedingly tasty. Just imagine clouds of confectioner's sugar. 

Dried down: Relatively linear, it's the way that sugar smells when you pour it out of the bag, when it's melting, when you just taste the sweetness - with a little bit of sweetened vanilla bean. It's a bright, beautiful take on 'sugar', with a hint of warmed caramel on the edges of the scent. 

Perfect for: Anyone who loves sweetness or sugar. This is a beautiful, cheery and happy take on 'sugar' with a lovely breath of vanilla animating it. 




Layering
I'm not a frequent user of layering, and I often find myself unimpressed by my own haphazard mixing of scents, yet these scents are perfect for each other! 
When Madar's spices become a little too strong for me, and the rice feels a little too solitary, I layer Sucre Vanille. It smells like adding a few spoonfuls of sugar to the fragrant aroma of the creamy rice pudding, and tempers the spices and florals in Madar into a more straight laced gourmand - combining the nutty earthiness of the rice with the sugar into a perfect dessert scent. 
Any gourmand lovers, definitely try this out! 
I've found myself reaching for this combination for weeks on end, and I absolutely adore this - and I've already put in my order to full size these lovely scents. 

Comments

Popular Posts