Orishiki Eyelid Skin Film: Review


You've heard of eyelid tape. You've heard of eyelid glue. 
But have you ever heard of eyelid skin film?




Neither have I until today apparently, and I spend so much time in Japanese Pharmacies, it's a real shame and embarrassment that I've gotten this far without finding some new products- and I mean, actually new, not like, an inventive spin on old products.

The one thing I really enjoy about Japanese cosmetics is also how inventive they are about coming up with new and limited edition items- with every other brand I've never really had to panic about picking up doubles of things that I love, but with Japan you never know. I've got an Excel cream blush, which has since been discontinued, one of my favorite foundations from Visee's CC Watery foundation has also been discontinued, and they really never tell you until you show up to buy a back up and it's gone.

I do enjoy this though, it generally keeps things fresh and inventive, and they'll come up with better and newer products that constantly keep you excited- or at least that's how I feel about it.  

The brand DUP comes out with a range of products, mostly to do with eye products, and I've never really tried any of their brand before a month ago. I found their eyeliner really not very long lasting at all, which, funnily enough, is exactly what I want.


All wrapped up in its lovely shiny new case! You can see the eye fold tool, and the film sandwiched inside. 
Here's an official description of the product!

"Apply and let dry. That’s all you need to do with this product for creating natural double eyelids. ORISHIKI liquid transforms to synthetic skin film when dried. Completely invisible and no special technique required for application. Incredibly easy to use and feels very natural."

Additionally, the website gives a rough guide on how to use this, with some infographics.

How to widen double eyelids? Cover your original double eyelid line with ORISHIKI and extend the coating area right up to your ideal double eyelid line. - taken from the official description

Here's a picture of the product and the plastic applicator that it comes with to help you get that perfect 'double fold'. It has 4ml of product!


How do I feel about this product? How does it perform? 

It looks a bit like eyelid glue, but it actually dries down to a nice matte finish. 
It has a glued down base to your skin, but dries on the top of your eyelid, so it acts a bit like one sided eyelid tape. You can basically apply it wherever you'd like, without needing to worry about cutting tape into shape, just apply, wait to dry, and then wham bam thank you ma'am, it's good to go. 
It's pretty much long lasting, I've rubbed my eye and slept in this and this does not move, and comes off well with any regular makeup cleanser. 



Here's the official video on how to use and apply this product!

The only thing I'd say is it does come with a bit of a learning curve, if you regularly use eyelid tape or glue, the placement might be a little easier for you.
I usually use double sided eyelid tape and the placement is completely different to how I usually do to even out my eyes, and having a bit of practice, these are much better shapes that fit the eye shape better! I find that this works amazingly and the ease of application is so much more convenient that peeling off stickers. 
My eyes have always been really finnicky depending on how much I've slept, or cried (thanks puffy eyes), so Your Milage May Vary on this one, but I've found that consistently using it gives much better results than eyelid glue and eyelid tape (which I just never really enjoyed using so I just have a few of them lying around the place.)

I really enjoy this though! I follow this tutorial: by Mumu, and I apply the tape before I go to sleep, set it with a hair dryer (make sure it's all set and not tacky or else it's not as effective!) and then by the morning you can remove it with a warm wet towel or even just peel it off with some water, and it's ready to be used. 

I used this for about a week and my eyelids worked really well with this- and I didn't need another touch up for a month. Due to puffiness on the eyes, I've had to reapply it every so often (around once a week) but a few nights will definitely give me a week at least! The Mumu tutorial works with eyelid tape, but this works even better in my opinion. 

Hopefully this review has been helpful, and I would also like to mention this seems like an amazing product for cosplayers because of how subtle this is!

The website description says that 92% of people did not notice when it was applied and worn on the eye with makeup, and I definitely agree - it has a slight white cast but it's mostly translucent. 

I got mine from a pharmacy in Canal City, Fukuoka  for JPY 1500, plus tax (1620 å††) 
Or from their Rakuten site!
If you're located in America, you can get this from here, which retails for $20USD. 

Edit: 

I just wanted to let people know that there are now a few other alternatives that are being sold that function similarly to Orshiki's skin film. 

One is the very popular brand, Eye Talk, and their product is called Hybrid Film
They promoted this as their new innovative product, and it also comes with a eye tool and is the same price for the same amount of product (4ml). It seems to work much like Orshiki's from what I could tell from the tester. 

The display booth set up for Eye Talk's eye film. 
Another similar product is Futae Labo's 'Real Double Eyelid' which is produced by 1Day TATTOO, a popular eyeliner brand. This also comes with a similar push tool, and retails for the same price for the same amount. 

A picture of the shop display for Futae Labo's eyelid film. 


All of these come with videos to demonstrate how to apply these products, and all work relatively similarly as far as I can tell, so if you're wondering about any dupes, these seem to be identical products. They're all the same price, so there doesn't seem to be a distinct difference between the products. 


Unfortunately, I won't be able to try these out as I already bought a few back ups of Orshiki's eye film already, and don't make enough to justify getting a seemingly identical product just to try out.


Comments

  1. Should I apply this Orishiki Eyelid Film after I apply eyeshadow or before I apply eyeshadow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works best if applied before eyeshadow!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. No, this comes off pretty easily with hot water and a bit of rubbing. If you're looking for a slightly more 'water proof' version try the Futae Labo one, it's a little more tacky!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts