Diptyque: Philosykos Review

Back again with another Diptyque review. I've heard that this one is also another best seller, but it's a little less popular than Eau Rose, but I do really enjoy fig when I do get to try it. I think this scent definitely cemented Diptyque as a relatively interesting house for me, especially from its roots as a niche house rather than a mainstream, which has definitely sparked my interest in trying out everything this house has to offer. 

https://www.diptyqueparis.com/en_us/p/philosykos-eau-de-parfum-75ml-1.html

Philosykos: Fig leaf, fig, green notes, coconut, fig tree, woody notes and cedar. 

For me, the opening of this scent is the best part about it - the fig here has a lovely edible quality to it, a fresh and sweet sliced fig accord. As mentioned, fig doesn't seem to be particularly popular and often isn't used as the star of the show in the almost hyperrealistic foodie way it is shown here, but this scent really showcases and shines a spotlight on fig. It's delicious, and a really lovely opening on first wear. 

If you've tried Fichi e Panna (Kyse), this reminds me a lot of the same beats, although the sandalwood in that scent turns it into more of a soapy affair in the latter hours of wear, but a similar opening with a beautiful ripe fig paired with a slight creaminess, although Fichi e Panna goes more creamy lactonic, whereas Philosykos leans far more into the coconut. This ends up as a smooth, rich coconut milk pudding wrapped in green leaves, paired with a soft, baby formula creamy milkiness. Unfortunately, the milky lactonic note dominates the rest of the wear on this scent, especially the fresh fig leaf/fig notes, with an edge of muskiness (very akin to L'eau Papier) that creeps in at the end. For me, I enjoy the smoothness and subdued natural sweetness of this scent, I love the fig note, but I'm a little let down by the way this dries down into more of a baby formula, milky and almost powdery coconut concoction, but I definitely would have picked this one up had the fig note had stuck around just a little while longer. At the price point, and the size, it's hard to justify picking up something I'm not entirely in love with, despite being a very nice scent otherwise. 

Comments

Popular Posts