Gucci: Silk Priming Serum Review


Although I tend to not to reach for brand names when it comes to makeup, my exception is always Chanel for their fantastic base products. Their foundations often just look really lovely on the skin, however, they've made minor changes to their packaging and formulas lately, and I've been left a little bereft. I had a bit of free time during the holidays, and went past the Gucci makeup store, and after a bit of chatting with the sales assistant, he sat me down and applied some makeup on me. Although initially hesitant (I have never heard anyone say much about Gucci's makeup before), I was surprised by how nice my skin ended up looking after foundation, and how it didn't feel super heavy (somehow, YSL's foundations feel like a thick layer of product over the skin no matter how thin the application). So I decided to give this a go. 

About the product:  

A primer that leaves skin feeling instantly refreshed and hydrated, Sérum De Beauté Fluide Soyeux glides on, soft and supple, ready for foundation. Ensuring optimal coverage and long wear results, its lightweight texture appears to blur fine lines and pores, so skin looks naturally beautiful and enhanced, whether worn alone or in preparation for a fuller look. Creating a luminous natural finish, Sérum De Beauté Fluide Soyeux visibly evens tone and appears to plump skin while creating a soft glow effect. Optimising foundation coverage for all day wear, the non-sticky smooth formula is suitable for all skin types. Forming an imperceptibly silky, second skin-like film once applied, pores, lines and wrinkles appear less visible, while makeup stays put when used to prepare the skin for foundation.

Ingredients

Aqua/Water/Eau, Dimethicone, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Nylon-12, Silica, Squalane, Isononyl Isononanoate, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Isohexadecane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Polysorbate 40, Chlorphenesin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Polysorbate 60, Disodium EDTA, Parfum/Fragrance, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Sorbitan Isostearate, Limonene, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Gossypium Herbaceum (Cotton) Seed Extract

My thoughts: 

As you might have already guessed, I adore this. Although I did pick this up with the Gucci foundation, I have to say, this primer works well on its own, and also looks lovely layered on anything else. As noted, the primer has a lot of silicone derivatives, and while I have tried various other silicone primers, they tend to be slightly slippy and don't do too well with longevity. However, this primer works extremely well in all weathers, with some sort of fixative that keeps the serum from shifting around too much after it sets. I wore this in a sweaty, humid summer, and while my t-zone is typically very oily and product just slips off the face at the end of the day and looks a little grimy, I have to say this worked really well at keeping the skin looking fresh even after long days. I've only layered this with liquid foundations, but I will be making a note to try if this also works well with powder foundations. The serum does have a noticeable sweet floral scent to it, but I find it fades relatively quickly after application. On the note of application, the sales assistant instructed I apply this with a sponge for the best results, but the official Gucci website suggests using fingers for application. I do personally think that the sponge application yields the best results, but it tends to waste a lot of product, so I sometimes use a thin, synthetic flat brush and smooth it back out with a sponge if there's any noticeable streakiness. This can also be worn on its own, although I wouldn't. 

This is a 30ml bottle, which retails for $82 AUD, so you don't want to waste any of it (about $2.75 per 1ml), but it is an extraordinarily hefty price tag. I love the way it performs, but I really struggle to justify the price tag. Their foundation (30ml) also retails for $110AUD, and when compared to Chanel's newer foundations (30ml for $98 AUD), Gucci's makeup comes at a price, a very high price. For the price, I'm glad it's at least worth its salt, but in the meantime, I'll be using this very very sparingly. 

Comments

Popular Posts