Joocyee: Lip Lacquer Dark Choc Review

Having seen this around a lot but never having the chance to dip in, I decided to give this brand a try. Joocyee is a Chinese makeup brand (sister brand to JudyDoll), which are both very popular C-beauty brands, and are starting to be sold all around the world. Much like K-beauty, a lot of these brands have garnered popularity over the last few years. I originally thought that this brand was in fact, Japanese, however, after finding out it was Chinese, I went to Taobao to pick up a few things - this lip lacquer being one of them. 

About this product: 

  • 8 hours long-lasting moisturization
  • High Refractive Index Grease
  • Moderate lip enhancement effect
  • Mild formula
  • No stickiness, No lip staining

This lip formula is supposedly very unique - it looks like a gloss but it's supposedly transfer proof after letting it sit for a while. There are a lot of video reviews demonstrating how after letting the 'film' develop, you can drink. I was under the impression it was like a glossy version of a liquid lipstick, which genuinely sounded just like something I was looking for - with the color I wanted. All of the shades were dark/vampy leaning shades, so I picked out #754V, which is a gorgeous dark red brown - I love darker shades but most of them tend to lean purple, so I was really happy to see more of the brick red/brown situation here. One of my most coveted and favorite lip colors is Crucifix from KVD which has since been discontinued in both liquid lip, lip liner and lipstick formula, and as a result, I've been looking for a dupe. I picked this one up both enjoying the shade, and wanting to try the formula. 


Ingredients list: 

Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Bis-Behenyl/Isostearyl/Phytosteryl Dilinoleate, Diisostearyl Malate, Hydrogenated Cocoglycerides, Synthetic Wax, Phytosterols /Octyldodecyl Lauroyl Glutamate, Polyglyceryl-2, Isostearate/Dipolylinoleyl Glycerides, Ethylene/Propylene Copolymer, CI 77891, CI 77491, Dimethylsilyl Silica, Candelilla (EUPHORBIA CERIFERA) Wax, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 15850, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Pentaerythritol Tetra(Bis-tert-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate).

My thoughts: 

Aesthetically, the Joocyee packaging is super cute, there's 3.3g of product in here, which is quite a lot - and the tube itself is made of pretty heavy acrylic/plastic quality. The tube is slightly wavy on the front facing panel, and the applicator also has a satisfying 'click' when it closes up properly. It's surprisingly luxurious packaging for the price tag (I picked mine up for 79RMB), and comparable to drugstore prices in Australia. 

Formula wise - This is a formula very much unlike anything I've ever tried before, although I imagine it might be relatively similar to a lip oil, as it's quite slippy and a little oily. Admittedly, I found application with this lip lacquer pretty difficult - the darkness of the color combined with the slippy quality of the formula meant that it was actually quite difficult to layer up the color without significant amounts of patchiness, and it doesn't float over the top like most of the lip tint formulas. However, the most important thing about this product, is it actually does not set (like I imagined it would). Unlike the liquid lip formulas, which set and dry down, the 'non transfer' situation here that happens when a 'film' develops on the lips. What actually is happening is akin to the bi-phase/oil-water combo situation, the pigments of the lip color here eventually star t to separate from the oily layer on the top, and as a result, pressing your finger against your lips means that you're touching the layer of oil without disturbing the pigment which has settled into the lip. 

Therefore, there is almost no longevity to this product, due to the formula it'll wipe off almost immediately because it never really 'sets', it's just pigment and oil. I also found it quite drying, especially considering it's not matte, and doesn't set (and it claims to be moisturising, it really isn't). I would probably suggest this product works best as a lip tint (despite the claims that it doesn't stain), as after you let it sit and blot off the top layer, it does leave a nice stain on the lips. Contrary to the claims, this product as not at all what I expected, but I would definitely reach for it when I need a dark brown lip tint - as it does work well with that function. I also still do really enjoy the color, but it's a pity that it has so much patchiness, because it's difficult to apply it thickly and still have it look nice. As a result, I definitely wouldn't suggest purchasing it, especially since I think the hype and reviews around the product definitely felt a little misleading to the actual performance of this, but I think a lighter colored formula would probably be a little less finnicky to work with. 

Personally, I prefer my lip products to last through drinking and eating, which is why I gravitate towards lip tints and liquid lips, so I don't think I can recommend purchasing this. I might try some of the more 'traditional' formulas from the brand (as some of their other products are nice!) but this just isn't for me. I would definitely pick this color up again in a different formula though! 


Comments

Popular Posts