NCD: Witches Utility Blends Review

I don't often pick up scents from this collection, but I found myself drawn to a few of these this time! You can pick these scents from Nui Cobalt Designs directly. They offer both domestic shipping around the US and international shipping (at a very reasonable rate of $18.95USD), with a very reasonable TAT of 3-5 business days and incredibly responsive and lovely customer service. They've recently also taken greater care in bubble wrapping their bottles, so both sample (1.15ml) and full sized (5ml) bottles are carefully wrapped - I've never experienced any leaks or breaks with their current bottles. Also, if this is something you like, they always send you a lovely handwritten card in the packages, and honestly, it makes my day every single time. 

Anyway, onto the scents! 

Sister of Stars - She gazes skyward, matching cosmic rhythms that send her mind aloft. Eyes like lightning-struck silver reflected in dragonflies’ wings. My Sister sees me. Dew-drenched linden blossom, Persian lime, blueberry seltzer, one white rose, and the subtlest insinuation of fresh garden mint.

This is a really gorgeous scent - NCD often has a magical (pun intended) way to transform notes I would usually never think twice about enjoying into the most addictive blends. Mourning Dove instilled in me a deep love for lillies that I would have never imagined due to my general ambivalence about white florals and their tendency to lean indolic and mildly screechy, and here, the linden blossom is a gorgeous, lush, and intoxicating green, herbal floral note. It gives me a surprisingly humid and tropical vibe, blended with a hint of sweet lime, and dark rose, like a touch of labdanum and tobacco here. Despite the listed notes, it's a surprisingly complex and dark scent, and I would struggle to think of any other similar scent even amongst NCD's expansive catalogue. I really enjoyed this one. 

Honey Jar 2021 - To sweeten the disposition of anyone you encounter, soften their hearts, and open their arms. Three golden honeys with a sprig of fresh lemon balm, and the lightest breath of lavender flowers. Wear as an enchanted perfume to inspire goodwill. You can also anoint light purple or light blue candles to heal strained relationships.

I am absolutely besotted with this scent, it's just sweet and gorgeous and lovely. This scent reminds me a lot of The Bees' Carnival, with the same sugared lemon and an almost cotton candy like quality in the honey, although this scent leans a little more towards a golden, rich sticky honey, almost oaky and aged. Although the lavender here is definitely just a whisper and a breeze, it adds a much needed sweet floral edge, and after dry down pulls a little strong, adding a soft, pastel herbal tinge. For me, my go to honey at home is lavender honey, and paired with the lemon here, the result is the most delicious scent here. Frankly, I think this is pretty much the perfection of honey blends here. Highly recommended. A worthy FS contender.  

Full Moon - At the height of her power, the moon adorns each wisp of cloud in a luminous mist of diamonds. Wear this sacred scent to invoke mystery, magick, and intuition. Notes of white tea, steamed jasmine rice, sugared lemon, and cool night air.

This is a really, elusive, soft and pretty blend. On opening, this one almost gives me madar vibes, with the fragrant steamed rice, but it's quickly tempered by the tannic, soft astringency of the white tea, and a burst of lemon rind, and bitter lemon. I like the herbal bitterness of the white tea here, it's super meditative as it's still soft, very true to a white tea scent. After dry down, the astringent lemon takes the wheel, veering away from clean linen lemon to a softer, lemon tea scent. I really like how it plays on my skin in this phase, it's not too sweet, like a zesty, my skin but better, paired with a refreshing cool night air accord - it's not quite an icy cold vibe, more of a breezy, light silky quality. Although it's not one I'd reach for very often, and leans more into the type of scents I'd put with my laundry, the rice accord in here is just so beautiful, and makes me just crave the one day that NCD finally listens to my pleas for a steamed rice solinote... One day... 

Comments

Popular Posts