Inspired Scents: Kingdom Hearts

With the new release of the MISSING LINK TRAILER (which is MISSING NO MORE!), I had this Kingdom Hearts inspired scent list ready to go. Will it ever become a reality? Who knows? Just like a true Kingdom Hearts game. There is also, actually a limited edition line of Kingdom Hearts official perfume (of Riku, Sora and Kairi), but much like the perfumes from Primaniacs, while the bottles are gorgeous, the scents themselves are rather uninspired. Therefore, it's up to the power of indie perfume to bring this stuff to life. 

For this collection, I truly had so much to pull from - the characters, the worlds, the music? There is SO much fun in this series that I had to stop myself or else I'd never end with all the scents I managed to come up with, but there is definitely going to be another part to this inspired scent series. Without further ado... 


The Trickmaster: The haunting echoes of shadows too tall to reach, whirling batons, fireballs, burnt candy and a rickety rackety table. 

Let's start with some memorable trauma -  I don't know how everyone's first Trickmaster fight went, but I had the pleasure of fighting this more times than I feel was strictly necessary (for a NORMAL playthrough, and not of the Regular Pat variety). Clicking through the textbox while the Cheshire Cat smiles mockingly at you, while you battle not just the Jester Man, but also the bloody table, it makes you wonder how the hell this was a kid's game while you're swearing up a storm. 

For this one, I'm going with Fireballs. The alcoholic kind. Both the ones you're setting on fire and the ones you're probably inhaling to get through this fight. Pair this with some wooden batons that are smacking you around, some burnt candy and, uh, is that gasoline? Yeah. Just one trippy boss fight in Wonderland. Enjoy.  

Gummi Ship: Chewy sugary gummies, a hodge podge of colors and flavors hurtling through space and new realms, powered by the sheer power of a smile. 

Look, I know no one's favorite part of any KH game is the Gummi Ship, but I can't help but feel I've kind of been stockholm'd into actually ... enjoying it? I mean, granted, KH1 Gummi sections look straight out of some gnarly naughties era games, and KH2 is more of a shoot 'em up section, but I, in my first Ultima Blade quest in KH3, actually found myself having a lot of fun just flying around in space, enjoying the sights, shooting the glowing crystals. It's mindless button mashing, but what's to say that isn't all of KH in a way? (said lovingly). For the sort of notorious existence of the Gummi Ship alone, I feel like it needs to be here. 

For this scent, it's not called gummi for no reason, so we need lots of sugar and (toxic?) positivity (from Donald). So we're going gummy jellybeans here, an ozone note, sparkly constellations, ramune, fizzy candy. I just want this scent to be super fun, bright, whizzy with an almost manic psychedelic galaxy travel edge to it. A sort of mysterious mashup of space fruit. It's not for everyone, but it's endearing. 

The World That Never Was : The unearthly sky of perpetual night lit up by a heart shaped moon, reflecting on a still, lifeless city crafted in monochrome and steel. Rain trickles down, on black coats obscured in fog. 

Does anything deliver atmospheric quite like The World That Never Was? Remember when the secret ending with Riku and Roxas had an iron grip on our collective teen imaginations, rustling up theories as to where exactly this place was, so dreary and so different from anything we'd seen in KH1? That secret ending lives in my brain rent free. That and the entire existence of the Organization XIII in the COM/II era. A collective chokehold on all scene/emo kids listening to MCR, Green Day and Three Days Grace. It was a different time. We're going back to that. This is a love poem to my teenage self. 

For this scent, we're going full atmospheric (obviously). We need night time, we need wet pavements, we need rain - petrichor, metal, steel, concrete and ozone. Also can we get some of that latex/plastic here? I don't know what the coats are made of (Darkness is not an acceptable answer), and somehow I feel like leather/latex is like, the best answer to this question. Just add a little artificial, synthetic vibe, just like the city itself, or the Nobodies and the Replicas. I've tried some lovely rain/petrichor/metal vibes, but I think that edge of latex and plastic with a hint of golden amber is what we need here. 

Comments

Popular Posts