Astrid: Cafe Zazou Review

For the longest time, I found myself reticent about picking up Astrid. I find it relatively difficult to purchase from them for a few reasons that I've gone in depth about here but as I grow older, I've found myself comparatively accepting about losing things I've loved - it's just another unavoidable aspect of life. Poignant ponderings aside, today is Cafe Zazou.  

Cafe Zazou - Incredible dark and smooth French roast coffee with whole milk and two sugar cubes, a piece of dark chocolate and a petit gateau sec au marrons (chestnut cookie).

I don't drink coffee, but I love the smell. For all the missteps of my blind buying, I gave myself a satisfied pat on the back when I tried this one, and I confess, I am completely enamoured with Cafe Zazou - when wet, it's like closing your eyes and standing in a coffee shop, with the scent of freshly brewed coffee, roasted coffee beans, and a few too many cups of espresso. The very end of the scent gives way to a hint of sweet creamy milk chocolate and just a touch of nuttiness. After dry down, the intense roasted bitterness of the coffee mellows out into a well blended, creamy hot mocha, with a sprinkle of dusty chocolate powder, hot milk and a latte and the chestnut cookie here adds a touch of subtle smooth nuttiness. 

I've tried a few coffee scents, and I would say this similar to both Mocha Mousse Marshmallow Fluff and French Quarter Coffee with Jelly Filled Beignets (MooScents), although this leans a little more into the aromatic nature of the coffee beans and is a little more bitter than both. For me, this is truly one of the most photorealistic takes of a coffee shop blend, and it's a gorgeous foodie blend that will make any gourmand lover swoon - especially if you're a fan of coffee notes. 


Comments

Popular Posts