Kayali: Yum Pistachio Gelato 33

Having heard a plethora of praise for Kayali's new Pistachio Gelato scent (full name: Yum Pistachio Gelato 33), I was definitely curious. Having had relatively mixed experiences with mainstream gourmands (usually actually disliking them quite a lot), I was curious as to see if the praise was indeed warranted. I've often had a lot of times where I've read rapturous praise about the deliciousness of mainstream gourmands only to be let down (some culprits include Prada's Candy, Shay & Blue's Salt Caramel) and since perfume can be very personal and very YMMV, I've definitely learnt to be very wary when it comes to non-indie gourmands since being able to try scents I actually love. I often feel like reviews from mainstream enthusiasts can be misleading (I for one, have definitely spent more than enough time on Kafkaesque in my teens, dreaming about the day I would be able to afford those heavenly sounding gourmands - only to be let down by how much I didn't enjoy then, and also how much money I spent on a full size bottle I'd hardly ever use). I think this scent reminds me a lot of my early fragrance days - because the praise and feedback from everyone reminds me of a scent I'd probably have bought in a heartbeat if I could afford it if I was younger, but one I'm more wary of now. Tangent aside, this is one of Kayali's best selling scents which released in 2023. It's avaliable in 3 sizes, 10ml, 50ml and 100ml and comes in a lovely pastel green glass bottle. I have to say, there is one thing that mainstream and niche perfumes always do well, and that's the aesthetic design of their bottles. The frosted glass and the colors are just divine. 

According to its description, Yum Pistachio Gelato | 33 Eau de Parfum Intense is a delicious explosion of irresistible and edible notes including pistachio, voluptuous whipped cream, roasted hazelnut, sweet rum, fluffy marshmallow, and fizzy cotton candy. A truly yummy fragrance that charms with an unforgettably intense, gourmand scent trail that will have you smelling good enough to eat. The Vibe: Yummy. Happy. Irresistible! This scent opens with mouth-watering facets of hazelnut and pistachio blended with rum for a tantalizing first impression. In the heart, beautiful white peony creates a rosy, honey-like effect while the muguet helps maintain the luxurious balance of sweetness, freshness, and sophistication. As the dry down continues, enjoy a delicious overdose of whipped cream, fluffy marshmallows, and creamy sandalwood for an insanely delectable gourmand fragrance!

Top Notes: Italian Bergamot, Pistachio Gelato, Hazelnut, Sweet Rum & Cardamom

Middle Notes: Geranium, White Peony, Muguet, Jasmine, Raspberry, White Peach & Pear

Base Notes: Whipped Cream, Marshmallows, Cotton Candy, Turkish Delight Accord, Cocoa, Cedarwood, Sandalwood & Tonka

I find this scent, bewildering at best. Even in the indie world, I've never quite smelt anything like close to a real pistachio (in my mind, there's always a vague savoury/salty quality added to the nuttiness), and this is... not even close. On opening, this was floral, slightly musky. amaretto adjacent - although there's something in this blend which remains relatively sharp and very 'abstract perfume' like. For me, this scent is entirely a medicinal, and really heavily alcohol leaning scent, although when sniffing this from slightly further away, I do get slight whiffs of vanilla extract and tonka bean. I think the blend of the sandalwood here with the muguet/jasmine lends this a heavily sharp/floral quality that tends to overpower the rest of the blend. Despite musk not actually being listed as one of the notes in this blend, this scent reminds me of a sharper, lighter version of Prada's Candy - heady, musky while still being sharp and sweet. This is abstract gourmand wonderland - but I think I'll skip on this one. 

If you're curious about my recommendations for a hyperrealistc foodie pistachio scent, (not perfect, but far better than this), I would say MaĆ®tresse-en-titre (Siren Song Elixirs) and Pistachio Gelato (Ganache) were both a treat. 

Comments

Popular Posts