Cocoapink: Black Friday Part 1 (Review)

Over the last few years of indie perfumes, I've definitely had a strange love affair with CocoaPink. Initially having made an order with them back in 2018, I was not a huge fan at all and ended up destashing most of my sample sizes, and just putting them to the back of my collection with an occasional side eye. A few months ago, I impulsively took out a few of their scents again, and to my great surprise, ended up really loving them. The trick with CocoaPink scents for me, is to mostly not wear them on the skin, and to not smell them too closely - as the scents are incredible and beautiful from a little further away. They're a little like Suerats in a way. Whenever I huff, I don't always love them, but if I spray and go about my day, I'm in love. 

Cocoapink is well known for their gourmands and also their intense projection and wear times, something I definitely experienced with my first order, especially with their alcohol based EDPs (which was all I had gotten at the time.) Since 2018, they've made some major changes - such as changing the sample bottles (which I had an awful time with), changing all alcohol bases to IPM for international purchases, and also pushing the international shipping rate from $14.25USD at the time, now to a whopping $28.50. Regarding shipping - I had contacted customer service regarding this (as even with the postal price hikes, most brands are usually within the $16-$19 dollar ballpark), but unfortunately, CocoaPink has not adjusted these prices. On the upside, most brands (like Sixteen92), often estimate shipping based off weight, so this means if you do choose to order heavier items from CocoaPink, you can actually get up to around 16oz for $28.50 USD (whereas Sixteen92 is around $49USD for the same weight). 

An extra note - I did request SMAT concentration for all of my order, but I've noticed a significant decline in projection and wear time from the IPM bases of my EDP orders. I'm not sure if this is a common issue as I've never tried both alcohol and IPM bases from a brand in the same scent. 

Anyway, after really loving some of my old scents after revisiting them, I decided to opt for their second Black Friday sale - which goes at 15% off all products! Since I tried a few formats, and it ended up being a pretty big order, there will be several parts to this performance. 

EDP (IPM base)  

General comment: After a bit of resting, I've had a bit of an issue with the longevity and performance of the IPM base - especially as the original EDPs I ordered in 2018 were actually alcohol based. I've noticed a significant difference with both, but I'm not sure if this is just an issue with the IPM, or if this is an overall change/reduction in concentration from the house. I would like to see if I can get my hands on an alcohol based EDP to clarify my observations a bit more but unfortunately it doesnt seem possible. That said, EDPs even in IPM for do have a much longer wear time and greater projection than the linen sprays even with SMAT intensity for both - so I would highly recommend the EDP if you're looking for something that lasts. 

Vanilla Bean Noel - Caramel, sugar, vanilla, tonka bean and white musk

Having previously bought this scent before - it's a dupe of the popular Bath and Body Works scent, although BBW have since reformulated this scent and in fact, made it worse, which is kind of why the CocoaPink version is now a necessity. In regards to the original - I really like this scent, it has all the syrupy nuances of the caramel, and all the billowy clouds of vanilla. Even for someone who's not a huge fan of musk in my blends ever - this really is a timeless classic. If vanilla sugar and VBN was your high school go to scent, this is literally nostalgia in a bottle. 

Cinderella's Carriage - Marshmallow Meringue, Sweet Pumpkin, Spiritueuse Double Vanilla, and Vanilla Bean Noel

It really doesn't surprise me how VBN is a really popular base for some of CP's best scents. Cinderella's Carriage is another best seller from the house and one of the most recommended and popular scents. This is another scent that I had previously bought before and ended up really enjoying - it's really sweet and rich, with an edge of gourmet foodieness from the nutty pumpkin note. To me, this smells a lot like a less sweet, pumpkin version of VBN, which in a way, it basically is. Like VBN with a twist. VBN if you're doing a low sugar diet. It's not super cloying or syrupy at all, and I really love that about this scent. This is perfect for pumpkin pie season. Extra whip and ice cream please. 

Marshmallow Cake on Mondays -  It is our bestselling Cake on Mondays scent blended with marshmallow. 

Cake on Mondays is : delicious sponge cake made with almond extract, vanilla, and a hint of cinnamon, then slathered in cream cheese buttercream frosting. 

Frankly, although I really love eating almonds and generally, enjoy almonds in all of my food, I've come to realize that I simply don't care for almonds in my scents. It has the tell taste sharp amaretto like punch of almond, and paired with a nutty cinnamon, it's a scent that is objectively fine, but I can't bring myself  to love.  

Spun Sugar - A more realistic cotton candy blend with fresh strawberry, sugar and sweet vanilla

This is the one - the scent that's had me captivated for months. During my original purchase (when alcohol EDPs were actually alcohol based, and shipping was still less than $40USD), this was definitely the scent I ended up loving the most. As of right now, I'm still ridiculously enamoured with this scent, it's a punch to the face of cotton candy, half melted candy floss, with a drizzle of strawberry syrup. This scent is definitely one that does lean plastic heavy if you inspect it too close, but with the concentration as it is, you really don't need to. It's a little flawed, but I love it with all my heart. 

I've also been told that this smells vaguely like raspberry jelly beans - but either way it's delicious. I've already finished my 10ml EDP and have upsized this. Again. I've repurchased this scent 3 times, I think it speaks for itself.  

Disclaimer: All of these products were purchased with my own money. I was not sponsored for this review or affiliated with this brand, and all opinions are my own, and do not reflect the brand's opinions or interests.

Comments

Popular Posts