Stereoplasm: Capricorn - Written in the Stars Review

Stereoplasm has recently come out with these cool inspired horoscope scents as part of their Written in the Stars collection, and the first of the group was Capricorn!

With these scents, there are all different elements infused into each scent with different properties each - but personally I absolutely love the aesthetic of the things suspended in the oil. To be honest, I'm always so taken with olive oil bottles with sprigs of olive inside it, or like, garlic oil with chunks of garlic suspended inside, so this is pretty much the same thing but way prettier. 

The cool thing about these is Stereoplasm also puts each of the elements into both sizes of the scents, which is the 1.8ml bottle, so while you might not get the same visual effect with the huge bottles, it's still so fun to look at and play with. And evidently - to create some art with! With all the not travelling, I don't quite get as many chances to take fun pictures, so I've painted some scenes which I hope will transport you to some different places. 

To add, someone did raise the point to me about perhaps the elements inside perhaps disintegrating or decaying, but I assume this is quite similar to the food quality oils but with a longer shelf life (as olive/vegetable oil for eating will go rancid slightly quicker). Additionally, perfume oils, like all perfume, does have a shelf life anyway, so if it's fine to eat olive oil with sprigs inside, it won't be too much of an issue with rose petals on the skin. 

You can pick up the Capricorn collection here in 1.8ml ($8CAD)and 7.5ml ($26.5CAD) bottles, and you can also mix and match a 3 piece set from the collection in 7.5ml bottles for $75 CAD (which breaks down to $25 CAD for each bottle. Currently, they also have the Sagittarius collection available as well, and that review will come later.

I guess it's also worth nothing that depending on the scent, each bottle will come with slightly more or slightly less depending on what's inside. Captivating Capricorn with the rose petals will probably hold a little more perfume oil that Cozy Capricorn due to the size of the lavender sprig, so you'll be receiving slightly less perfume oil than normal. That said, you get chunks of semi precious stones in some of them and you can pop off the rollerball and keep them if you're done with it, so, your milage may vary! 

As always, a huge thank you to Meaghan and Kacy at Stereoplasm for sending these to me! I was really excited to try these because Stereoplasm doesn't often do a lot of sweeter, gourmand adjacent scents, and this seemed like something I'd love. 


Cozy Capricorn - A base of vanilla, shea butter and cotton. Wrap your senses in a soothing blanket of sage to reduce anxiety, vanilla to reduce stress, lavender to find calm and a pinch of sugar for a hint of sweetness. 

This was was my favorite of the collection - it really is as sweet and comforting as it promises to be. 

The scent is like a sugary take on a day at the spa - the vanilla and shea butter are very light and clean, while the cotton adds this touch of laundry softness and cleanness. After dry down, the cotton mellows out to let the vanilla sugar shine a little more, and the herbal lavender and sage peek out a little more. The lavender here has more of a green profile, in addition to the touch of herbal savoury from the sage. It leans very heavily on the sweeter side thanks to all the sweet vanilla cream, but I love the balance of the herbal notes in this blend. 

Inside the bottle are lavender sprigs, used to promote calmness and wellness, and moonstone to encourage feminine energy, balance, growth and strength. 

Personally, I have such a soft spot for moonstones (they're my favorite semi precious stone and I have many moonstone rings just because I love the way they catch the light), and I've always loved lavender in all forms, so this is probably my favorite list of elements. 

Perfect for: the spa, the sweet indecipherable smell of mystery facial products, the scent of lavender and sage body oil during the hot stone massage, and the feeling of starchy cotton sheets and freshly washed towels, and a lovely vanilla biscuit during. Just as a little treat. 

Crumbly Capricorn - A freshly baked butter croissant, paired with a sweet vanilla latte, a hint of freshly peeled orange and a calming chamomile bouquet. 

Based on the notes alone, I was fully prepared for this to be my absolute favorite - and I loved painting this one with all its evocative sweetness. On first sniff, this reminds me a lot of Bumblywitch Fare from the sweet orange. This scent however, is not quite as gourmand as the notes would suggest. While I was expecting butter and vanilla, I ended up getting a punchy orange treat. 

For me, this scent reminds me a lot of a flourmand - the orange and chamomile are like the warm whiffs of a cup of herbal tea, complimented by the sharp punch of caffeine from a vanilla latte, with a few too many pumps of orange syrup, topped with vanilla cream and orange zest. However, unlike a latte, this scent isn't very milk or coffee heavy at all. The sweet orange cream adds a smoothness, and the vanilla sugar amps this scent from 'calming herbal infusion' to an artisanal hand poured latte. The croissant is largely absent on me. 

This scent reminds me of a floral creamsicle in a way - like Lolita (Siren Song Elixirs), with a strong punch of orange zest and even a touch of mint in this scent. I personally feel like I'd have changed the description to maybe, a sweet orange zest croissant, an orange syrup latte and clouds of chamomile. 

Inside the bottle is vanilla for a hint of sweetness, and orange peel for an infusion of energy. I personally love the little cut of vanilla bean and vanilla seeds inside the bottle, as it definitely amps up the rich sweetness of natural vanilla.

Perfect for: a rustic cafe tucked away on busy high street, a delicate arrangement of baby's breath and chamomile while the demanding noise of the outside world slips in every so often with the jingle of an opened door, as the reassuring smell of dried oranges, madeleines and orange lattes float in the air. 

Captivating Capricorn - A base of rich, honeyed mingled with rose, tobacco, beeswax and clove. A distinct fragrance. A reminder for self love. 

This scent is overwhelming and intoxicating - opening up with a burst of freshly cut roses, rose stems, crushed rose petals and rich sticky golden brown honey. It's incredibly warm and it feels like being submerged in molasses. It feels incredibly elegant and almost mainstream, with only a very touch of green tobacco and a hint of clove, rosemary and sage as well. This scent ended up staying quite linear with the performance. 

On my skin, the honey note ended up morphing into more of an old, vintage, slightly musky, dusty scent after about an hour. That said, this rose note is absolutely incredible and I want more of this for sure. This scent is also very strong and super concentrated - I wore this on my wrists but could still smell the scent lingering on fabrics I had touched the day after. 

Inside the bottle is black tourmaline to absorb negative energy and purify negative thoughts, and rose petals as a natural aphrodisiac to encourage love. 

I really love the way the rose petals look inside the bottle, as I also love rose, and there are flecks of black tourmaline inside, but they tend to sink to the bottom of the vial. I like shaking this one up a bit. 

Perfect for: Nights where you just have to whip out the red velvet dress and the chiffon dressing gowns, pour yourself a glass of red wine and dip your toes into a milk bath with rose petals and play jazz in the background. Treat yourself. 

Disclaimer: These scents were sent in exchange for reviews and photos. I was not sponsored for this review or affiliated with this brand, and all opinions are my own, and do not reflect the brand's opinions or interests.

Comments

Popular Posts