Poesie: General Collection Review

Poesie was actually one of the first indie brands to catch my eye, mostly due to their tea scents, Twice to Tea and Opening Chapter. As you can tell from my Luminous Star review, I love tea! It's my mission to find the perfect tea scent.

The two packages wrapped in Poesie's own tissue paper and stickers, and a cute King Henry VIII sticker as well! 


General information about the brand: 

Poesie has a reputation of being a brand that is mostly inspired by notable historical/literary female figures, such as Jane Austen, Artemisia Gentileschi, the Bronte sisters, Cleopatra and more. 
Personally, I find this a really compelling fact about the brand, so if you're interested in famous female figures in terms of scent stories, or wanting to support strong female figures (in theory!), this is your brand! 

Poesie only offers perfume oils (no EDPs) with a small catalogue, with seasonal releases which get swapped out every so often. They're another small brand so they don't often bring back seasonal, but they have a curated scent list and a few 'layering note' options that are more or less permanent. Additionally, the layering notes, and sometimes seasonal scents, are available in bath salts, body whip, and fragrance mists. I have been told by Joelle the owner that she may be planning on releasing EDPs in the near future, so fingers crossed! 
They also offer loose leaf tea that are inspired by their perfume scents as well, which is a lovely touch! 

Additionally, sometimes they also do a few bespoke events, which a lot of more popular brands tend to not do as often due to the large amount of orders they receive and how much time it takes to create custom orders.  Unfortunately, their TAT is a little longer, and generally takes 10 business days. For my order, I placed it on the 21st of January and it was shipped at the end of 10 days.
I reached out to Joelle regarding this, and the reason for occasional delays may be due to American public holidays (which I made my order on!) so keep an eye out for that if you're wondering why your order hasn't shipped.

If you have any questions or want your order combined or what not, Joelle is more than happy to assist and she has amazing customer service and replies even on weekends. I would definitely recommend you reach out to her if you have any questions or problems, as she helped me out with both of my orders and made everything fuss free and easy. I've already made my second order since posting this review, and I highly recommend you check them out as soon as possible! 

Edit:
Poesie has recently updated their prices for all their products, and I've attached the new price listings down below with comparisons. The price listings for the rest of the blog will not be changed as they address an old order before the price hike.

Custom Sample Pack — $18 for 6 Samples --> $21 for 5 samples

2 ml — $6.5 --> $8.50
5 ml —$16 -->  $21

New! 10 ml — $38

Fragrance Mist — $12 --> $14

Fizzy Bath Salts — $10 --> $12

Body Whip — $14 --> $16

Loose Leaf Tea — $8 --> $8.50


Shipping information:

Edit: Unfortunately, as of March 15th, 2019, Poesie's shipping rates have been bumped up to $12USD for shipping to Canada, and a flat rate of $17USD for any other international shipments - but are now free for all domestic orders. This is still a good deal if you're order heavier products, but you may want to wait for a bigger order if you live internationally.
Additionally, adding or combining orders will incur an extra fee - I recently combined at order for shipping with a friend and had to pay $9USD despite the combined order.


Personally the easiest and best part of Poesie is that they offer standard flat rate shipping across most regions, US is $3, Canada is $8 and other international shipping rates are $14 for most other places. 
Previously I had really wanted to try a few scents, just a sample batch of a few scents but my friend in the US was leaving and the TAT time for Poesie is lengthy, so I decided against buying a $16 sample pack with $14 shipping.
Luckily, I was able to find a friend who also wanted to try out a few scents from Poesie, so between the two of us it meant that we only needed to pay $7USD for shipping regardless of weight. 

As always, being international, I always suffer between wanting to get more samples to try the range of scents without having to pay more for shipping, or making a small order so I won't be regretting buying a lot from a company that I might not enjoy the scents of. I imagine a lot of international fans have the same struggles when going through blind buying processes or being a first time buyer without knowing what you're in for - and honestly, reviews don't cover a lot of the experiences that you might get either. Fortunately, flat rate shipping does also mean, if I enjoy this brand I won't have to struggle too much with the shipping fees while making a large order! In addition, Poesie's sample sets are the most affordable option out of all of their perfume oil offerings, so don't feel pressured to buy the bigger sizes because they cost more per mL.


The bag and bubble wrap the items came in! The samples were wrapped in bubble wrap as well. 

My order: 

Poesie offers sample packs at 1.15ml for 6 at $18USD, which breaks down to $3USD for each bottle, so I made an order for two sample packs and one fragrance mist. I received two samples, Frosted and Secret Boyfriend with my order.

I find that everything I've smelt from the vials even before resting all smell incredible - there's no weird funky smell to any of the scent I've ordered from the vials at all and I've been smelling these so much when I have the chance.

All the sample vials with a size 8 (US) ring for reference! 


Sample pack: 

These are all sample vials of 1.15 ml, and the full sized versions of these would be 5ml roller ball bottles. I'm really not a huge fan of perfume oil still, but I hope these will change my mind (as they only offer these in oil form). I haven't rested these, but I will continue to update in the case that they change - although most of them don't seem to have changed at all from the few days I've rested these. 

Twice to Tea - a strongly brewed cup of Earl Grey tea delicately infused with all natural lavender absolute, sweetened with vanilla syrup, and lightened with a splash of milk

There are many similar notes from different brands: such as Sugar and Spite's Sister Witch and Lavender London Fog from Hexennacht.

In comparison to Sister Witch - which is a lot heavier on the sugar and milk, Twice to Tea has a sharper green 'herbal' profile to the scent.
In comparison to Lavender London Fog - it's much more similar to Sister Witch in the sugar and milk,

Twice to Tea kicks off with a sharper, and surprisingly mintier start, and then mellows out to this really nice sweetness with the minty bergamot and a dash of milk, and a light sprinkling of lavender in the scent.
To me, this scent is much sweeter than what I prefer from "tea" scents, and the syrup and milk are complimented with a dash of tea.

A quick price comparison per mL for those interested.

Sister Witch:
Dram/3.7mL - 5.50 -->    $1.5 USD
10mL - $12 -->              $1.2USD

Twice to Tea -
1.15mL - $3 -->                $2.6 USD
2mL - 6.5 -->                      $3.25 USD
5mL - 16 -->                     $3.2 USD

I've contacted Joelle directly to ask if this is to do with the price of the rollerball packaging - and she told me that "the sample vial packaging does cost less than the other bottles", so if you're on a budget, it might be a better deal to get the samples all in one scent because 5ml of the samples would only be $13, as the rollerball is $16.

This scent, if you enjoyed Sister Witch but want something less milky and sweet, this one is for you! If you also like your tea scents more herbal, I find this one really great in terms of the sharper bergamot notes.

Opening Chapter -a generous cup of steaming Darjeeling tea, a rainy day, a pile of old books all your own

The aspects of atmospheric rainy day and old books sounded super interesting - there's a touch of musky pages, and the smell of rained on grass - green with a touch of dampness.
Poesie's tea note always has a slightly minty, herbal candy scent which doesn't quite smell like bergamot, but has a very tannic, dried quality to the tea accord.

This is definitely more of an evocative scent, like reading tea stained books in a library - you'll like this!

Myself Invisible - stacked books, spilled ink, black tea, shy violets hiding deep in the forest

To be honest, prior to this I always wondered what stacked books or spilled ink was supposed to smell like, until I realized that I love the 'ink' aspect from all the times I spent doing ink work at art classes. I don't know what violets in a forest smell like either, since I've never been in a forest, but I can try to guess what it should be like?
I really genuinely love this scent though, it has this interesting floral (violet) tinge on top of the ink scent, which, if you've ever smelt ink, smells very much like a light perfumed version of it. I don't really get 'books' from this too much, not as much as the ink and light floral, but the ink itself is just so interesting to me. I'd love to get this in a full size.

If you like interesting nuanced florals or ink notes, I would highly recommend this.
It's one of the stand out scents in my order.

Blue Highway - a tender vanilla-scented muffin studded with juicy ripe blueberries

On the reviews, this supposedly smells exactly like a blueberry muffin...and while I have a soft spot for blueberry muffins, to me, there's an overwhelming sweetness to this scent, and then a hint of blueberry which gets a bit more realistic the more you huff it in the vial.
Weirdly enough, on my skin all the blueberry disappears, there's nothing sweet about this on my skin at all and it turns into a strange cough syrup-y type of sugary scent.
I'm chalking this up to strange skin chemistry, but it smells so nice in the bottle.

If you like blueberry muffins, I think you might like this depending on skin chemistry.

Secret Boyfriend -  a mountain of light fluffy marshmallows, your secret boyfriend’s leather jacket, pine and cedar, a wisp of smoke

This is actually very sweet, a more vanilla tinted marshmallow note.
It opens up very heavy on the cedar and pine, very woody and solid, then after that dries down it turns into a sweeter toasted marshmallow. This marshmallow note reminds me more of a sweeter vanilla sugar scent, rather than the Frosted marshmallow note.
This is very heavy on the cedar with just a touch of leather and sweetness to lighten up the scent.

Our friendly co-blogger really found herself enjoying this one though, so if you like a woody scent with a gourmand sprinkle, this might be nice.

Frosted - Slather on our marshmallow buttercream layering note to add fluffy sweet goodness to any scent.

This is a nice sweet marshmallow note, but the underlying creamy note reminds me a lot of the CocoaPink marshmallow cream note, which leans towards the sweet icing sugar mixed with cream/frosting rather than the Secret Boyfriend marshmallow. As far as layering notes go, I prefer Sucre Vanille but I much prefer Frosted's sweet vanilla over Blanket's soft musk.

If you like the marshmallow/vanilla notes from either house, this is a great scent for you!

Tiny Phantom (Jane Eyre collection)-  innocent pink roses, marshmallow buttercream, pale white musk, antique mahogany

The rose and marshmallow musk feels like a really light and comforting scent mixed with a slight touch of wood... Maybe a little bit like a classic high tea on some vintage tables and chairs.

The rose isn't quite the typical sweet, jammy rose, it's very green and reminds me of freshly cut rose gardens.
After dry down, the buttercream marshmallow comes out a little more after the roses fade, but there is only a hint of musk (not too overwhelming that I dislike it), and enough of a woody base to ground the scent a little. I like this, it's a lot feminine and very soft.

If you like a sweet gourmand leaning rose scent, this one is my pick for you. 

Madchenland -floral Pacific Rose apples, luscious yellow cake, warming spices, a delicate drizzle of caramel 


Have you ever watched the movie, Get Smart with Anne Hathaway and Steve Carrell? At some point in the movie, the yellow cake means yellow cake uranium, and all I want to describe this is as 'nuclear apple yellow cake'.
This has the same opening apple note as Watson, but there's a huge waft of spice that almost turns the scent slightly bitter - and I don't really enjoy the spice note in this because it turns the apple note a bit rotten. To me, this is the start of my hate of the "festive spice" - it's just an indistinct spice that doesn't give any warmth and turns sour on my skin.
Personally, I can't confess to being a fan of Poesie's fruit notes, so this wasn't up my lane.

If you like apples or mulled wine type scents, this is definitely one for you. 


Chiaroscuro - (inspired by Artemisia Gentileschi)  Bright limoncello, milky figs, cedarwood, dark vanilla beans lashed with communion wine, a waft of church incense

I thought it would be so interesting to try that mix of notes. I actually do really like Artemisia Gentileschi, mostly because I studied Susanna and the Elders (1610) and Judith Slaying Holofernes (1614-20), which are personal favorites.

In the vial, this is very strong on the limoncello, with a lovely warm and sturdy base of fragrant cedarwood.
On my skin, the lemon is a delicate burst of limoncello, a sweet and slightly zesty accord, and blends effortlessly with the grounded base of that slightly citrusy quality of cedarwood (which also features in Rose Without Thorn). The figs are more of a grounding light sweetness with the touch of vanilla, and just a small whiff of a burnt out incense stick.

If you like limoncello and/or cedarwood, this is a must have.

Easiest way to imagine this though, is just the sweet lemon from limoncello and cedarwood, so if you like a nice wood based lemon scent, you'll absolutely love this. 

All Mirth, No Matter - (inspired by Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing) apricot blossom, white chocolate, butterscotch, honeysuckle, magnolia,  amber, and a fillip of juicy blood orange

To me, from the vial, it's all sweet white chocolate and a touch of butterscotch.

On my skin, it opens up with this lovely white chocolate honeysuckle blend and then dries down into this amazing slightly floral blossom/honeysuckle base with a spritz of citrus/orange on top. Although I initially enjoyed the blend of zesty, sweet and floral, I'm not a huge fan of honey suckle and fruit blossom accords, so I ended up destashing this one. 

If you like floral leaning gourmands, I think this one will be very interesting to you! 

Innocence -  sweet peach skin, delicate coconut milk, comforting skin musk

I've been finding that I like coconut scents a lot more than I think I do, like how I feel about cinnamon, so peach and coconut sounds like a comforting simple scent.
Before dry down, there's something very stereotypical 'mainstream' perfume about it on my skin (I think it might be the musk) but it dries down into a sort of vague 'sweet' scent that doesn't smell like peach or coconut. I personally don't like musk, and this has a strong musk accord so this goes to the swap pile.

I think if you like sweet musk heavy scents this could be for you but it's very indistinct on the notes! 

Watson - lavender in bloom, apples plucked straight from the tree, sweet dried tobacco leaves, a scattering of hay, polished mahogany & rosewood

Having finally decided to try this anyway, I wanted to see what 'lavender in bloom' smelt like. This supposedly smells a lot heavier on the apple notes, with a dab of tobacco and hay, so I wanted to give this a try as a less foodie apple scent. 

This smells so much nicer than Madchenland in my opinion, the apple is really refreshing in this despite being the same apple note- there's a hint of tobacco and something 'field' like (guess it's the hay?) but it's really refreshing apple with a hint of tobacco to ground it (a bit like the tobacco note in Creamy Vanilla Crumble.) After a while it turns into this very tobacco heavy scent, without too much of an apple note. This shifts a bit, whereas Madchenland stays that strange spiced apple note.

If you like apple notes, that lean towards realistic which morphs into a hay/tobacco note, you might like this one.

Falcon Rising (inspired by Anne Boleyn) -  tempting cherry and deadly bitter almond, richest vanilla with hints of smooth milk chocolate, charred woods

In the vial, I smell vanilla, almond and then the slightest hint of realistic cherry. Second time around after resting, all I can smell is charred wood.
I compared this to Poesie's Thornfield, which contains the same charred/burnt note- and this is a slightly fruitier and sweeter rendition of the same concept. I find myself really loving the "burned smoke" accord that Poesie does. It reminds me a little bit of Smoked Salt lip balm from Tokyo Milk.
I finally got a 5ml rollerball of this too, so that tells you how much I like this one.

If you like 'charred' or anything along the smokey burnt wood notes, this is a good one for you!

Rose Without Thorn (inspired by Catherine Howard) -  juicy peach, dewy hyacinth, green vanilla pod, cedarwood

I don't know what hyacinth smells like, or 'green' vanilla, but this is a very Green scent.
Personally, I wish they'd put rose in this scent though, because this I feel like it should be called something like Thornless Rose without Rose.

This smells like a slightly more 'green' twist on cedarwood, there's not much peach but it's just like grassy sweetness on a base of cedarwood. There's like a refreshing sweet fresh floral note to it from the hyacinth, but I don't find myself very inspired by this scent at all.

If you like cedarwood or floral/earthy scents, this one is for you!


Friendly Co-blogger's fizzy bath salts and my Blanket layering body mist!

Fragrance mist:

This is a water based scented mist, and the ingredients are the fragrance, distilled water, polysorbate 80 which is an emulsifer, and optiphen which is a preservative. The mist itself is only sold in one size, a 4oz/~120ml bottle for $12 USD. I had no idea how big it was when I made the order and just thought it was just a little pricey, but turns out it's because it's actually 119mL. It's about $4USD for 1ml, same as Luvmilk's pricing. 

I ordered this in the scent Blanket, which is a "comfy vanilla musk adds a layer of softness and warmth; a "my skin but better" scent." I was stuck between Blanket and Sucre Vanille, which is a "sparkling white sugar laced with vanilla bean.", but I stuck with Blanket as there were no other reviews on Sucre Vanille at all, whereas Blanket was spoken about highly on r/indiemakeupandmore and other reviews.

After emailing Joelle directly, she told me that "Blanket has more musk in it; I would say Sucre Vanille is definitely more gourmand. Blanket has a certain fuzzy quality, whereas Sucre Vanille has strong elements of sugar with a tiny hint of caramel."

I'm a little disappointed in the scent that I received, although I'm not sure if this is Blanket as a scent that feels a little weird to me, or if the ingredients alter the scent in any way. Luvmilk's body spray includes a lot more ingredients- but the scent is much heavier - and I don't get the same type of strange scent in the Sugar and Spite body sprays either.

This to me smells a lot like original Tempo tissues in the plastic packages for anyone who knows what they are - but if you don't, the best way I can describe is that it's a slightly plastic-y artificial chemical scent that lies under the more musk-y vanilla smell.
If you sniff closely on the skin you can get a sweet musk, but I wouldn't say this is a stand out scent.
I'm not sure if I like or can recommend this - but if you like Tempo and a slightly damp musky sugary 'vanilla' - not the foodie but the sharper body spray one - this may be for you. 

Picture also posted here

Conclusion:

I love this brand and everything I've gotten - even my friend's other scents which I'm normally not a huge fan of, I find myself being very interested in her scents as well.

As a lot of people note, Poesie's scents wear very close to the skin but they've honestly got quite a bit of sillage and projection, I've got scents on my legs sometimes and I can still smell them when I'm walking around) and I've found that most of them have a pretty long wear life if you've applied a bit.
I found a light touch of oil will last around 4 hours and fade, but a solid dab will get you 6-7 hours and still go strong. You'll really have to sniff it to smell it, but I like that.
It might be that comparatively they have less projection and are less heavy than some other brands, but I'm personally a fan of these. For anyone who has scent sensitivity, I recommend this brand as a soft but pretty house which makes scents that don't overwhelm the nose at all.

I really like Poesie and I've overall had a great experience with the house especially with some of the more unorthodox blends (namely with their woods and florals) that I don't typically gravitate towards, so I find myself easily buying from this brand.

I'm eagerly awaiting my second order already, and I've rarely placed second orders from indie houses, so I can safely say that this is a highly recommended house in my opinion!

Thank you Joelle for your patience and your lovely scents, I've loved your kindness in dealing with my demands and also greatly enjoyed your perfumes! 

Comments

Popular Posts