Ohana Mahaalo Hong Kong/Taiwan Scents


It has come to my attention that no one has written about the Hong Kong and Taiwan exclusive Ohana Mahaalo fragrances (at least, not in English), despite the fact that the second ‘season’ of scents have already been launched.



Thus, I have taken it upon myself to translate the descriptions for anyone looking into them - as these have been released exclusively with Chinese descriptions - not even having Japanese translations despite its brand origins. 


Chinese descriptions read like poetry, and lots of idioms have no direct translations

If you think that perfume descriptions are normally pretentious – prepare yourselves for some next level use of imagery; because as I’ve told Liza, I sound like I’m writing to my faraway lover conscripted to war in ancient China.

Season 1:-

Lilia Kaui // “for the melancholic you”
Egret drifting leisurely amongst lilies, graceful and delicate as a maiden
As your spread your wings, please spare a look for me
To see whether the full moon, shining over my hometown, is as bright and clear as it had once been
The immaculate pure white of jasmine and lily of the valley, blooms within deep layers of rose
Such is the scent of my melancholy
Notes: jasmine, rose, lily of the valley




Pea Pomaikai // “for the fortunate you”
There’s a crescent that sits at the center of my chest, a precious pendant, gift from my mother
Tonight, as always, the scent of honey overflows as I fall into sweet slumber
Following the wafts of fragrant honey, strolling through the woods
Fresh roses mingle with honey, as vanilla brings forth stolen sweetness
Foretelling awaiting fortune
Notes: honey, rose, vanilla 

Season 2:- 

The second season of HK/TW exclusive scents have been inspired by local HK attractions.



Hula Punahele (inspired by Hong Kong Disneyland) // “for the carefree you”.
My happiest moment was when I saw your laughter under the sun
As I don my fanciest hula skirt, I chase after that brilliant smile again
The joyful sweetness of raspberry that cuts through elegant white flower and violets
You are the idol that lights up my world
Notes: raspberry, white florals, violet



Uluwehi i’a (inspired by Ocean Park) // “for the inclusive you”.
Tropical fish, with your rainbow patterns and
Hints of prideful arrogance as you colour the vast blue sea
The gentle ring of tentacles from sea anemones will be your safe haven
As breezes of orange flower, and delicate rose
Sink into warm amber, as if within a gentle and inclusive paradise
Notes: rose, orange flower, amber

If Light Blue sells well in America because laundry detergent is their designated clean scent, just as Cool Water sells in the UK – these shampoo scents are the standard for many, if not most, Japanese OLs and high-schoolers. 

Ohana Mahaalo scents sell well because it caters to its market accurately, but to most fragrance heads outside of Japan (and even South Korea, whose road shops are filled with baby powder-centric sprays), you’re likely to find the blends too linear and soap-like. 

Albeit, well packaged, aldehydic (if you’re into that), and mass-friendly.

Comments

Popular Posts