Muk: Oily Scalp Shampoo Review

 



I've long been on the hunt for the best shampoo (since I can no longer purchase my beloved Apivita shampoo as easily as I used to)... this is the next one on my list! As I've mentioned before, I have a lot of difficulties with finding shampoos for my hair/scalp, as I have a very oily scalp, and can't go more than two days without a wash (it looks awful). 

Muk is a local Australian brand which offers a range of hair care products, such as shampoo, conditioners and hair oils, catering to a range of hair types as well. They're made for professional use (typically salons), but all their products are available for purchase on their website and other retail places, so it's relatively accessible. I bought mine from HairCo. 

This retails for $25.95AUD for 300mL and comes in a metal bottle with a pump. 

The description for this product is: 

  • Shampoo for oily scalp and dry ends.
  • Gently eliminates scalp oil and helps control sebum production, without harsh stripping.
  • Protects and nourishes dry sensitised ends.
  • Gentle, colour safe formula.
  • HAIR TYPE: Curly, Wavy, Frizzy, Straight.
  • HAIR TEXTURE: Fine, Medium to Coarse.
  • SOLUTION: Sensitive Scalp, Oil Reduction.

My thoughts: 

Pros: 

This is miraculously, the one type of shampoo that actually suits both oily scalps and dry ends (and I've tried more than a few!) It has a way of keeping my scalp nice and comfy and clean, but also it's been so kind and gentle to my ends that they aren't horribly prickly and dry anymore. I don't even need conditioner for this! 

It's so kind to my curls - I have 2B hair (wavy with loose curls) but most shampoos strip it so much it looks more like 2A hair (flat waves). and I have never tried a shampoo that has nourished my curls. It looks so pretty, and my friend asked me what I'd done to my hair - but I'd only changed my shampoo! 

I love the scent - it's apple scented.  

Cons: 

Some shampoos you can get away without trying to acclimatise your hair to the new formula, but this is one of those that takes a few days. If you use this in conjunction with some other formulas, it's just a bit too nourishing and it made my hair feel flat and very sticky for the first few days (in which I had to wash my hair every day for a week). 

I do need to shampoo my hair at least twice to get the best result for this shampoo. While I could get away with one rinse for Apivita, this needs at least two for the best result (for my scalp). 

Price - at around $26 for 300mL ($8.6 per 100ml) it's around the same price as Original and Mineral's original detox shampoo (which I was also a fan of, and retails at $34.95 for 350mL, which is around $10 per mL), but compared to those supermarket alternatives, this is undeniably more expensive. 

Overall: 

I like the metal bottle for this product - I think it's a nice change from the typical plastic bottles, it's really sturdy, and the pump is a great addition. But honestly, I love this shampoo! It does have a bright green color to it (not sure if I'm a fan), but I love that it's definitely been really good for my scalp (giving me two days of comfortable fresh hair), and also that it's had the added bonus of really keeping my ends soft, and nourishing my curls into its more natural shape (I honestly have never seen my hair this curly and it's oddly satisfying). I also have previously had issues with some shampoos trapping dust at the ends of my hair, but I didn't get that at all. For the similar priced option (O+M's detox shampoo), I have to say, this one is a little cheaper and I've definitely enjoyed using this one more. 

I would recommend this to anyone with the same hair type/hair concerns as me - I've really loved this shampoo and I would definitely repurchase this. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts