Canmake: Gokubuto Mascara Review

Click for more information from the official Canmake site here!

At 600 yen, this is a little larger than the Lash Frame mascara and looks like it holds a little more product, but if you prefer smaller brush applicators maybe try Lash Frame. I bought the original formula of this mascara with its original packaging and the hourglass wand, but it has now been changed to a black/brown shade that corresponds to the color of the mascara, and the wand is just a basic curve. Personally, I have to say I really love the cuteness of the bright pink packaging, but I don't think the change with the brush makes a huge difference (in my personal opinion.) 



That said, there hasn't been too much of a change with the formula itself so here are the claims. 
  • Film-type formulation that washes off with warm water☆
  • The powerful volume will give you the fluttering lashes.
  • The thick liquid covers each lash, and as you apply more layers, you create the ultra-thick, super-volumized lashes!!!
  • Has a long-lasting curling effect, even though it's a film-type mascara.
  • Keeps your lashes looked as though you had only just curled them! Casts aside the image of film-type mascaras as being unable to maintain a great curl.
  • Can be washed off with warm water, so it's easy to remove your make-up
  • Can be washed off quickly with warm water, without the need for a special eye make-up remover.
  • No need to scrub it off, so it's kind to your eyes; recommended for those who use false lashes, lash extensions or other beauty salon treatments for lashes.
  • "Multi-proof" formulation
  • Waterproof formulation that is resistant to tears, sweat and humidity.
  • Resistant to sebum, so won't run and leave you with panda eyes.

My thoughts : 


Overall, this mascara isn't bad at all. 

Volumizing/Lengthening: Minimal. You don't really get much of a build up with volume or length at all, but it's there to provide modest amount of definition. 

Flaking/Smudging: No flaking or smudging! This is very much waterproof AND oil proof, it won't wear off around oily eyelids, and it only comes off with warm/hot water so this will hold up with rain, tears and probably a trip to the pool. 

Pigmentation: Dark enough to notice on the eye!

Wear time: This is a strong one - I've worn this for 16 hours with no flaking, smudging, transfer. 

Packaging: Could be improved slightly, I'd prefer a more compact tube because it seems pointlessly chunky. However, the overall packaging is simple and minimalist, which is nice, although the gold print on my original pink tube faded very quickly. 

Price: compared to standard drug store mascaras, this is a little more expensive in terms of price, and I think Canmake's Lash Frame is probably a little more affordable. However, if you do prefer the hot water removal method like I do, there's not much else I've found that's similar to this formula so a little margin of $20HKD isn't too extravagant for me.

Removal: Easy. Warm water will be the best, but you can try this with a bit of water and a towel on the go and it'll still come off easily, but otherwise will stick around all day. 

What I didn't like : I do wish that it held a curl better, as once you apply it, it has a heaviness to the lashes and drags it down. My lashes just stick straight out and don't have a curl at all, so if you want to keep a curl you might need to heat up your curler or curl again after mascara (which, not recommended but has to be done sometimes). It can clump a little easily, and it doesn't have any super noticeable volume or length - so if you would like a mascara which really performs, this isn't it. 

What I like: Firstly, the price is fantastic. The price point itself is already enough for me to not have any high expectations about the formula. However, the formula itself actually does pretty much what i want - it doesn't smudge or flake, and it is incredibly easy to remove. As someone who spent a good part of their life hunting down the best waterproof mascara with no smudge and great performance, only to spend hours at the end of the day trying to scrub the mascara off, taking my eyelashes with it, this is so easy and painless to remove that I much prefer this to the more resistant types. For convenience, even with the less than optimal performance for volume and length, I find that I really don't mind at all. 

Overall, I really do enjoy this mascara. I wouldn't repurchase it because I know there are a lot of similar mascaras out there, but I did really enjoy using it - and at the price point it's really a steal. 

This is available for purchase at most Asian drug stores (eg Japanese pharmacies, or Sasa), or you can also find it online at some resale sites (eg. Yesstyle). 

Comments

Popular Posts