THE LITTLE BOOK EATER: BUTTERBEER AND AT THE BURROW PERFUME REVIEW


About the brand:
The Little Book Eater is a Etsy perfume shop that features handmade book and story-inspired products, but as far as I can see, only do perfume oils.
The brand is mainly inspired by books and other popular shows/movies, such as Supernatural, Harry Potter, The Night Circus, Riverdale, Game of Thrones and fairy tales.
I do love the concept of the scents, and they also do custom scents every so often, and they offer a few sizes for their scents.

Shipping:
For those who live internationally, The Little Book Eater does not ship outside of America - so I was lucky enough to get this in a swap from u/pijanadziewczyna.



I managed to get these two Harry Potter inspired scents, and these are tiny little 3ml rollerball packages. I love the little vials, but I do wish the stickers were a little less 'paper'y because the ink seems like it'll run and spread, and also easily rip. 

Buttery Butterbeer:
Butterscotch, rum, sugar

Wet: It is divine, a rich butterscotch, sugary creamy lightness mixed in with a dash of rum. If you've ever had a Butterbeer from Universal Studios (if you want to make your own, Recipe 1 is the one they use and is spot on the same taste as the park version!)
It has that same little kick that you get from the cider and the rum extract, just to give it a bit of sharpness against the overwhelming sweetness of the butterscotch syrup, and the heavy cream and sugar mixture is just a lovely base note in this mixture.
I love this, it's almost an exact mimic of what the Butterbeer tastes like at Universal Studio Parks.

Dried down: The rum vanishes pretty quickly (as I suppose all alcohol does), so does the biting edge of the scent.  The richness of the butterscotch is basically tamed down, and the creamy sugary edge feels more like the pleasant aftertaste of the drink, or the ice cream version which is literally just caramel ice cream. I do like this blend on its own as a lovely sweet realistic taste of Movenpick's Caramelita - although not really being the original scent I may have signed up for.

I've also noticed the alcohol note in gourmand scents often seems to fade quite quickly across a few brands, so I'm personally not too bothered by this.

Perfect for: Anyone who's tried the park version of Butterbeer, or when you think about trying that delicious drink from the books in perfume form. 

At the Burrow:
Baked bread, cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, maple syrup and butter

Wet: A puddle of maple syrup, nutmeg, glazed brown sugar and a sharp kick of cinnamon spice. There's not a huge bread note, or butter, but it smells like a spice mix that you'd use for baking.

Dried down: The little mix of scents all vanish after a few minutes on skin. This is all cinnamon with a touch of nutmeg, it smells like just putting your nose into a bag of cinnamon powder, it's not a nuanced lovely scent of swirled bread or churros, it's simply a dry powdery cinnamon with its spicy sweetness.

Perfect for: Anyone who likes a straight cinnamon scent, that smells exactly like cinnamon powder.


Conclusion:
I like these but the wear time on them is less than ideal. Of the two, Buttery Butterbeer has a stronger projection so I can smell this when I put it on my wrists, but the wear time is only around 3-4 hours, as it becomes very faint after a while. At The Burrow is very faint and it disappears on my skin in around 2-3 hours.
The one redemption of this formula is that the packaging for 3mls are rollerballs, and the tiny little bottles are convenient to carry around and to reapply - a rollerball is great to just slather on your skin.

The general feel of the formulation of these not too concentrated, the projection of the scents are very minimal, so you need to apply quite a bit and quite often to keep the scent around. That being said, I do like them enough to actually wear them, and I don't personally mind a perfume that fades - strong scents that persist bother me more. 

While I absolutely adore Buttery Butterbeer, At The Burrow leaves a lot to be desired - but the novelty of buying scents that are inspired or come from certain stories is one that I reckon gives this house its spirit. 

Comments

Popular Posts