Epically Epic: Lavender Marshmallow and Key Lime Pie review


My order: 

Having put a huge order with Ajevie, one of the best things about a decanter is that you can get a huge array of scents from different brands without having to calculate up how much you're losing on shipping - and Ajevie makes samples for brands which typically don't offer sample sizes at all. 
If you are interested in samples, I wholly recommend Ajevie as a decanter, she processes orders quickly and also offers free sniffies (empty bottles) for most orders, and has many brands you can pick from to try while offering weighted shipping for international services. The lowest bracket is 14 and the next is 22, but with 1ml samples, you can go up to 400 samples before go over the 500g weight limit. 
The 1ml sample vials are sold for $2.75USD for each on Ajevie, and the 7ml rollerballs are sold for $12.5USD, which breaks down to $1.8USD per 1ml. This is a massive bargain, and even at the slight price hike for decants, this is definitely towards the lower end of pricing for indies. 

If you like these, or have had a good experience with Epically Epic's scents, they offer $17USD custom scents in the 7ml format as well with a huge range of scents you can customize as well!

I got two scents, but managed to try a few from my joint order with a friend, so I'll be briefly touching base with those as well. 

The brand: 

The brand itself doesn't offer a wealth of information on the website, and as I didn't communicate or place my order with them directly, for this reason I can't offer any specific details regarding shipping or customer service. 
They do however, offer these scents only in perfume oil rollerball packaging in one size (7mL), but they also offer custom scents if you are interested. 
All these scents are also offered in lip balms, argan oil hair mist, sugar scrubs, whipped body butter, soap and solid lotions. 
Personally, I'd prefer to see a body spray or a EDP format being offered in addition, or at least another size for the perfume oil (5ml is a good size, 7ml to me is a little too much for me!)

The scents: 

Lavender Marshmallow: Sweet marshmallow and refreshing French lavender essential oil. 

In the vial: Just straight lavender essential oil, the TINEST whiff of something sugary underneath. 

Wet: Still straight lavender, with very little nuance at all. 

Dried down: for like thirty minutes, this is perfection. It's gourmand, it's delicately made marshmallows in a pastel pink high end sweets shop, it's packaged in a see through plastic bag with a pink ribbon with specially made stickers, it's this amazing balance of fluffy white marshmallows and  sweet edible lavender sprinkled on top. 

And then after that blooms into the best dessert you've ever had, it fades just as quickly as it comes, like a marshmallow melts in your mouth. All the lavender goes away, the marshmallow sticks around, on your teeth for a few minutes and then it all vanishes into nothingness and broken dreams, and a touch of plastic. 

I mourn for the amazing sweetness they baited me with, and this probably works if you reapply this maybe every half hour, but as someone who never brings touch ups outside, this won't do. 
I will probably put this in the diffuser, but I can't see myself wearing this too often on my skin outside of home. 

Key Lime Pie: Tart lime, sweet vanilla meringue, and pie crust. 

Remember when I told you about my love for Unknown Pleasures by Kerosene and I desperately needed a backup ? I think I've found it. 

In the vial: straight up key lime pie, buttery citrus topped with mounds of sugar topped Italian meringue. 

Wet: Same notes, the citrus pulls a little stronger but it's almost an uncanny scent dupe of Unknown Pleasure, but surprisingly it does the buttery tart base a little better than Kerosene does. 

Dried down: The same complaint I have for the Lavender Marshmallow, this is perfect, if only it stayed on my skin. These scents do not want to last, they absorb into the skin and just vanish. Key Lime Pie has a slightly longer wear time, 2-3 hours and has a larger projection and a more linear progression with the scent story as well, and I adore the way it smells straight out of the vial and on dry down, but after they fade away, there's just a tinge of plastic (much less so than Lavender Marshmallow.) 

This honestly would be the perfect budget dupe at a great size offering (NOT 100ml!) but due to the lack of EDP and weird lack of staying power, I'm not sure I can recommend it for wear time. 
However, accuracy, very nice. If you're scent sensitive and you just want a small pick me up with something sweet, this might be a nice little perk to a dreary day. 

Others: 

Yellow Roses
A scent inspired by my favorite movie, "The Age of Innocence." With rose absolute, lemony citrus notes, red raspberry, and whipped cream.

This is very heavy on the vanilla/lemon.
  There's very little rose in this at all - it's just not a strong or dominant note in this scent at all, but due to the raspberry it turns it a little too perfume-y for me, more like a Kyse type of scent. 
Not a scent I'd consider buying for myself. 

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies!!!!! Nothing more needs to be said. 

This reminds me of a good blend between the Fragrance Shed's Hot Chocolate and Marshmallows, it's this lovely fluffy cocoa scent with just a dash of the 'milk', and is so close to bordering on real drinkable chocolate, with just a hint of that chocolate chip cookie/chocolate milk/peanut butter cookie note in Luvmilk's Ace of Hearts. I really quite like this, it's not quite freshly baked melting chocolate chips but it's a straight forward sweet chocolately scent that isn't too offensive to me. 
I like this but I don't see myself buying a full size of a similar scent I already have full size versions of. 


Conclusion: 

I like these scents. I really do. But I didn't experience any  lasting power on these for me. They're definitely lovely gourmand scents and I imagine they might work better in other forms on offer. 
I think I'm definitely happy with these scents, and I like the 1ml vials I've bought, but I don't think I'll repurchase these in full sizes.
If you've never tried this brand and you're looking to try some very foodie gourmands, I think this is a super affordable option out of a few of the other similar brands with prices with much better quality of the scents. I would very much recommend this to first time buyers looking to see what they like. 

ETA: I have experienced far better longevity and wear time with some of their custom scents, so I'm not quite sure why this batch specifically didn't work for me. 




Comments

  1. I'm always looking for the great gourmand scents that aren't too cloying or sweet. I'm partial to vanilla, chocolate, honey and almond or slightly nutty notes (without smelling like a candle or inside of a spice cupboard or plastic).

    In your opinion, where did you find the best gourmand scents?

    Great blog! I came across this while looking for some reviews on Cocoa Pink scents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading!
      I honestly found more favorites across a few different brands, and can't say that I have only one brand that I can wholeheartedly recommend everything from their catalogue, but there are a few scents that I could recommend off your list of preferences.
      Vanilla - Two Finger Ballet (Arcana) is a popular scent, it's nice but its a sugary, sharp vanilla with a touch of amber and opium. I also really enjoy Blackburn's Parlour (Solstice Scents) which is very "banana split" with banana, chocolate syrup and a really lovely fluffy vanilla base. Magical Girl (Luvmilk) is more marshmallow than vanilla, but I really love that as well, and Creamy Vanilla Crumble (4160 Tuesdays) is a lovely, high end rendition of a gourmand vanilla.
      Chocolate - Blackburn's Parlor again - but I also think Oui Plus (Kyse) has a great s'more and graham cracker note. I also enjoy Ace of Hearts and Slumber Party (Luvmilk) because they use a non-cocoa note for a brighter, sweeter chocolate without the sort of, dry dusty quality that you get in cocoa absolute. Hot Cocoa (Arcana) is also fantastic.
      Honey - this is an elusive note and is famous for working badly on different skin types. I found The Bees' collection from NCD had a nice honey note for me, which I enjoyed in Bee's High Tea but also in Bee's Cotillion. Garden Party (Sixteen92) also has a nice honey'd note but it's not the main feature.
      Almond - If you're looking for amaretto, King of Hearts (Luvmilk) is a lovely sharp almond, and The Tea Party (sixteen92) also has a great almond buttercream. Almond usually leans a little sharp in most blends I've found, and while I do like almond in general the sharpness can be a little off putting - not super realistic in my personal opinion.
      In regards to general nutty notes, almond is the most popular and I can't really think of any that really feature a strong and notable nutty note - although a gratuitous mention to Madar for its beautiful nutty rice note- which also includes pistachios.
      Hope that helps a little bit!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts