BPAL: A Fragmentary Passage 0.1

A handful of BPAL reviews! 

Kill-Devil - Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

Despite what the name might suggest, this scent is far sweeter than I anticipated it would be, although despite the listed notes, it leans far more fruity than I would have imagined. I find BPAL's honey note a little closer to more of a golden syrup note here, though I can't be sure if it's obscured by the molasses and sugarcane here. The sugar cane here also reminds me a lot more of raw cane sugar, rather than the clear sweetness of an actual sugar cane/sugar cane juice, much like the cane sugar note in Sugar Glider (Nui Cobalt Designs). This blend overall is giving me a lot of orange, wood and a dash of candied honey, with puffs of raw cane sugar and while it wasn't what I expected, I don't mind it as honey can be super risky, but I don't mind this blend at all.  

Les Fleurs du Mal - The scents of the blossoms of darkness, condensed into one perfume. Features a rose base, softened with lilac and wisteria.

This is definitely the type of blend you'd find in a hotel bathroom, the rose here is a gorgeous English rose, very pale and delicate, paired with the lilac and wisteria, it gives a very sweet, almost candied floral handsoap. Although the opening gives me a little more of a soapy finish, the dry down changes to more of a light, perfumey quality with an edge of freshly cut green stems and a touch of makeup powder. It reminds me a lot of Gion (Fantome) with a little more of an elegant, Victorian floral aesthetic - definitely one of those old school classic 'feminine' perfumes for sure. I definitely think this is a lovely scent, it's just not one I think suits me. 

Poisoned Apple - A perfect, lovely, gleaming red apple whose sweetness masks a swirl of narcotic opium, oleander, and hemlock.

A gorgeous, crunchy slice of apple at the forefront of this scent, with all its sickly sweet candied juiciness. I've definitely tried a fair few apple notes, mostly mixed with spices for a warm apple pie, but it's a nice change to get something that is more of an apple solinote in the first portion of its wear, definitely giving me a bit of photorealism with the note. For me, the opium and hemlock are not incredibly strong, just adding a hint of dark murkiness to the apple note, with a bit of zingy green and the bite of sharp opium just adding a sort of 'unearthly' vibe to the apple. I was definitely impressed with this apple note here, but I personally prefer my apples a little less of a health hazard. 

Comments

Popular Posts