Top 5 Discontinued Designer Fragrances


I like mainstream. Most people dabble in indie and niche when they realise that department store scents no longer satisfy them - but that doesn't ring true for me. There's very little that I don't like, and a lot that I do. Hence, my continuous hoarding of more and more perfumes whether it be designer, niche or indie.

However, the current trend in designer perfumes for women tends to either be:-
(a) fruitchouli "children of Angel" (all of which don't slap half as hard as Angel does - though I may be biased as I happen to adore Angel); or
(b) watered down designer florals with beautiful marketing campaigns.

And I've realised that though my tastes are considered basic (in that I don't wear a lot of blends that are too atmospheric, or notes that are unconventional), my mainstream-ness isn't the type to do well commercially at the moment, and I've often lamented the deaths of many of my favourites.

Without further ado, here are five discontinued delights in descending order of how much I shall miss them once I'm out (a.k.a. use both carefully and sparingly):-

5. Violetta (Penhaligon's)

Violetta isn't the greatest perfume. It really isn't. At least, not at it's price point. Yet, if one disregards that it's a Penhaligon's and has no idea what the price tag on a bottle is; Violetta then becomes an indulgent treat.

This is my guilty pleasure in that it's violet 'mints' (tablets, the type you get at vintage candy stores) over a white musk and creamy cedar-sandalwood base; with a burst of lemony bergamot to keep it from going too sweet. Despite not recalling the violet plant, Violetta is by no means a gourmand, and there's a twinge of rosy geranium that adds a subtle floral accord; it's a ballet-slipper pretty scent.

4. White Jasmine & Mint (Jo Malone)

White Jasmine & Mint is still listed on the official website as of now, but having checked in store - it's sadly confirmed to have been discontinued. Out of the discontinued JMs, I also have Black Vetyver Cafe; but without a doubt, White Jasmine & Mint is the one I'll miss the most. This is my ultimate layering scent. My go-to 'freshener' for flat florals and Summer-scents I want to wear throughout Spring. The mint here is sharp and herbaceous, whilst the jasmine is bright and clean (not indolic nor sweet and heady).

Personally, I've found that since Jo Malone no longer belongs to Jo Malone - a lot of the unisex catalogue (apart from the bestselling Lime Basil and Mandarin) has since vanished, and they're trying to release a lot more that are generically categorised as either feminine or masculine. Which is a shame, become JM's unisex colognes really were unisex.

3. Love, Chloe (Chloe)

That rice note! Love, Chloe has one of the most amazing rice notes - earthy and floral all at once, dry and never foody. Heliotrope, iris, and cosmetic powder are dominant notes here, creating the imagery of a modern french boudoir - powder puffs lain forgotten over dressing tables. The classic jasmine and rose duo isn't used to create a huge floral presence; instead, it's well-blend and wispy - never taking the fresh green route, nor a heady turn.

I wore this all through high school, and every single time I manned the library desk, this didn't fail to bring me compliments (from both boys and girls). The combination of the rose gold bottle and pink juice is also absolutely gorgeous! Effortlessly chic and feminine, this is a 'cool girl' scent, the feeling of cashmere on skin.

2. Fleur de Chine (Tom Ford)

Think of this as dunking your head into the biggest white floral bouquet. Fleur de Chine doesn't hide it's character as a vintage bombshell. Creamy and heady, the tea note isn't here to make this any fresher. It's a citrusy jasmine blend that only serves to highlight the rich nature of the magnolias; while peach skin musk and 'watery' florals (hyacinth/wisteria) go on to smooth her out. Rose here is powdery soft, and the dried plum note adds just a touch of retro glamour.

If we're talking of the Four Beauties, this is the Yang Guifei. The voluptuous and oh-so feminine. The one that puts flowers to shame. She isn't loud, but she certainly isn't demure in the way she demands attention. It's a love affair in another era.

Fleur de Chine and Love, Chloe both share a more vintage vibe than what most designer houses are offering nowadays, and I wonder if that similarity is what makes it more difficult for modern consumers to approach.

1. Eau de Ciel (Annick Goutal)

Whenever someone asks me of my favourite perfume, I always answer with Eau de Ciel. It's my happy scent, my comfort blanket. I remember walking into La Fayatte in Paris and heading straight to the perfume floor with my friend back in middle school and falling in love with Eau de Ciel at first sniff. This is the scent of a linden blossom grove, with hints of beeswax and violet buds. There's a bitter bite to it's neroli, orange blossoms in full bloom, and hay over damp soil.

You could wear Eau de Ciel with a white tee and ripped jeans, or you could be in your wedding gown. It's not your quintessentially 'pretty' Annick Goutal - it's beautiful - in how natural it smells, feels, and wears. Eau de Ciel is a bottled Spring morning as the breeze blows, and brings to mind only happy memories.

Comments

Popular Posts